cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SLA with Nexus 5500 series

abdulrehman786
Level 1
Level 1

Hi My question is based around IP SLA's with teh nexus 5548UP series of switches.

I plan to use IP SLA's to track a specific path to a remote network and should the interface on the Nexus switch fails / goes down the static route to the remote network would get removed from the routing table and the floating static route would then be used and injected into the routing table untill the primamry path becomes available again at which point the routing table would be modified so it uses the original prefered path. A similiar senario with the catalyst range of switches using IOS would be to setup a tracked object with reachability using icmp-echo to a specific next hop with a default route to the destination network associated to the tracked object.

The topology is a pretty basic triangulated network using three nexus 5548UP switches and all the routing is done using static routes between the three switches (sites).

I think IP SLA reachability / interface tracking is supported in NX-OS 6.x which is supported on the 7K nexus platform but not on the 5K nexus paltform, if anyone has implemented this or can provide a link to a guide / pdf it will be much appreciated.

19 Replies 19

It has been over 4 years since this last post. I implemented the script on N5K-C5672UP NX-OS version 7.3(3)N1(1), the EEM script works well for 2 or 3 days after it stops running. below is the EEM script: 

event manager applet track-next-hop
event snmp oid 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0 get-type exact entry-op ge entry-val 0 poll-interval 10
action 1.0 cli command "source routetrack.py 10.2.16.0/22 10.2.16.33"

and when I run the command "source routetrack.py 10.2.16.0/22 10.2.16.3" it works without problem.

can you help me solve this problem knowing that these switches do not support the schedule Feature.

It has been over 4 years since this last post. I implemented the script on N5K-C5672UP NX-OS version 7.3(3)N1(1), the EEM script works well for 2 or 3 days after it stops running. below is the EEM script: 

event snmp oid 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0 get-type exact entry-op ge entry-val 0 poll-interval 10

and when I run the command "source routetrack.py 10.2.16.0/22 10.2.16.3" it works without problem.

can you help me solve this problem knowing that these switches do not support the schedule Feature.

Does anyone have this running under NX-OS 7?  The problem I am having is with NX-OS 7.0(5)N1(1).  Once I figured out the correct directory for the script and the new syntax to run it, I started to get the following:

source RouteTrack.py 10.6.0.0/16 10.8.1.2
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/bootflash/scripts/RouteTrack.py", line 122, in <module>
    routecli = docmd("show ip route " + rv1 + route + " static ")
  File "/bootflash/scripts/RouteTrack.py", line 90, in docmd
    results = " ".join(cisco.CLI(cmd, 0).get_output())
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'CLI'

I changed the case for the cli call, and now I get the following:

source RouteTrack.py 4.2.2.32/32 4.2.2.254
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/bootflash/scripts/RouteTrack.py", line 122, in <module>
    routecli = docmd("show ip route " + rv1 + route + " static ")
  File "/bootflash/scripts/RouteTrack.py", line 90, in docmd
    results = " ".join(cisco.cli(cmd, 0).get_output())
cisco.cli_syntax_error: % Invalid command at '===>' marker: ===>

Any Assistance would be greatly appreciated!

To preempt\failback to the primary route once the primary route is available again change line 225 in the script to:

routecli = docmd("show ip route " + rv1 + route + " next-hop " + route_nexthop + " static ")

rachid.rachidi
Level 1
Level 1

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card