Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SLA

s.g.shanker
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have configured an IPSLA so that it pings a Public IP from my Gig 0/0  every 30 seconds with timeout value of 1000 ms  I have terminated the Internet connection to the routers g0/0 interface. I also have a 3G connection to internet and want the 3G connection to be used only when there is no Internet connection terminated to the G0/0 interface. Everything works fine when i plug the internet connection to the G0/0 the default route pointing to the G0/0 interface comes to the routing table beacuse of ip sla tracking. And if i unplug the ethernet interface my 3G default route comes to the routing table.

The problem in my ethernet based connectivity i am having packet loss. If i ping to 8.8.8.8 say for example from my g0/0 source interface i am getting only 4 response back out of 5. So this causes the IP SLA to fail and brigs the 3g default route to the routing table eventhough the G0/0 is still connected.

Is there a Way in IP SLA to configure even when there is 90% success in ping i still want the IP SLA to be a Success so that the default route pointing to the G0/0 still remains in the routing table rather than my 3G default route.

Below is my configuration.

track 234 ip sla 2 reachability

ip sla 2
icmp-echo 8.8.8.8 source-interface GigabitEthernet0/0
frequency 30
ip sla schedule 2 life forever start-time now

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.29.130.1 track 234
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer1 20

Appreciate your help.

3 Replies 3

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Mentioned the timeout say 1000 under ip sla 1.
See the below config what i have and everything working fine.

track 1 ip sla 1 reachability

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 206.206.206.206
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Cellular0 10

ip sla 1
icmp-echo 206.206.206.206 source-interface FastEthernet4
timeout 1000
threshold 2
frequency 3
ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Thanks Naidu,

I am using the timeout of 1000 ms as well..i forgot to put it in the config. My question is what will happen if one ping response fails will the IP SLA still be a failure. if you ping to a particular ip it will send 5 packets by default. What happens if one of that packet fails . Will it cause the IP SLA to fail,? If so how to make sure even if one packet fails the IP SLA is successful.

Hello,

Assuming your ping delay is 30 seconds, if you configure this:

track 1 ip sla 1 reachability

delay down 90

... then the track objects will be declared down after 3 successive ping failures.

Regards,

Herve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card