cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it wrong to configure access layer switches as layer 3

adeebtaqui
Level 4
Level 4

Is it wrong to configure access layer switches as layer 3 instead of layer2 as all the latest 9200 9309 series essential switches are layer 3 by default ie ip routing is enabled hence i define interface vlan ip for all vlans being spanned through network and ip route to core for routing instead of ip default  gatey to core.

What is the best practice?

16 Replies 16

KJK99
Level 3
Level 3

The idea of enabling inter-VLAN routing on the access switch level appealed to me, too. I even made an attempt to implement it. However, while doing that, I realized that the deployment and maintenance of VLAN ACLs on those switches would be too much trouble for me. Also, my RADIUS server configuration was getting more complicated because of extra SVIs.

Kris K

Yea, especially true if your L3 edge, as I mentioned earlier, is single 24 or 48 port L3 switches.  If you can stack them (like a stack of five 48 port) or use a chassis (also with five 48 port line cards), then your 240 port L3 device very nicely hosts a /24 for data and /24 for VoIP phones.  I.e. Probably about how you would (ideally) structure a VLAN/subnet across multiple distinct L2 switches.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card