Views
Helpful
Replies

isp connections to cisco device

sbalderrama
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All and merry christmas,

this is probably an easy question for all you pros, but I am going to contact an ISP provider, and wondering what type of connection will the ISP provide me to connect to my cisco device?

Also I have a cisco switch 3560g, wondering can that act as a router 2800 router or do i still need to purcahse a cisco 2800 router even though I have a cisco switch 3560g, i know you can route using the switch i got, and has a transciever module port, which i am wondering if that is what the ISP provider will give me as a connection or will they give me a regular network cable?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Steven and Merry Christmas to you too.

If the provider is providing you an Ethernet connection, then you can use the 3560g you have and as you already know you can use it as a layer-3 device.  But, if the provider is giving you anything else, i.e. T1, T3, DSL, etc... then you need a router with proper WIC to terminate the connection, because the 3560 supports only Ethernet.  If you are planning to run BGP, OSPF on your 3560, you need to make sure you have the proper later-3 image.  (IP services).

Also, if you are doing NAT, you need a router.

HTH

Reza

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card