Views
Helpful
Replies

ISP routing and failover

aok
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

Hoping someone can provide some insight on this design scenario...

We have a Nexus core pair with an ISP line on each. Our outbound static route points to a floating VRRP IP on the upstream ISP routers, controlled by VRRP priority to go over the primary link. If the primary link fails traffic fails over to the second link. We have 2 existing public IP ranges and are acquiring an additional IP range as we would like to route traffic for the new subnet across the second ISP link. My question is, how do we achieve this without disrupting the existing traffic/configuration? Our ISP advised that if we use the existing VRRP setup we'll need to statically route traffic for the new subnet to the physical IP on the second upstream router. However this means no redundancy for that subnet, which isn't an option.

Anyone have any suggestions on a non-disruptive way to do it while still providing redundancy?

Thanks
A

3 Replies 3

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You can use Static floating with IP SLA and tracking. It will make easy your life and traffic will auto-redirect to another ISP if your new ISP will down.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Thanks Deepak, I'll do some reading on IP SLA and tracking.

Hello

@aok wrote:. My question is, how do we achieve this without disrupting the existing traffic/configuration? Our ISP advised that if we use the existing VRRP setup we'll need to statically route traffic for the new subnet to the physical IP on the second upstream router. However this means no redundancy for that subnet, which isn't an optio

Policy based routing could be applicable.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card