Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISP to L2 switch

Hi

I have the isp internet router connected to L2 switch, which is connected to L3 switch.

How do I and the ISP set up our netowrk?

I know he should do nating and access list, but should he do static route for our network to an interface in the L2 sw? as he cant use ip. or interface vlan ip?

I have configured a default route from L3 sw, to the isp port. and access vlan on the interface thats going to the isp from L2

5 Replies 5

@netacaduser575395547 

"How do I and the ISP set up our netowrk?"

This is very specific for each environment and ISP. Hard to day how they will do that.

"I know he should do nating and access list, but should he do static route for our network to an interface in the L2 sw? as he cant use ip. or interface vlan ip?"

L2 switch does not do routing.

They will probably setup one static routing on their core send your traffic t to the their router inside your facility.

"I have configured a default route from L3 sw, to the isp port. and access vlan on the interface thats going to the isp from L2"

For layer2 connectivity it is ok you connect the router to the L2 switch and core using access interface but you need to have a layer 3 connectivity between your core and the ISP´s router. The router probably is delivering you one interface with IP address which will be your gateway and you must have, on your core, one interface or interface vlan with IP address on the same network as the ISP´s router Lan interface.

" on your core, one interface or interface vlan with IP address on the same network as the ISP´s router Lan interface."

i have inter vlan ip and the port goes to L2 sw is in that vlan, as well as the port gping to isp port.

So you saying they need to do the static from thier core to the internet router? and keep the router configuration as nating?

Usually the isp do nating, access list and default route to our core ip. but in this site, L3 has no port to connect to isp directlly. so we need the L2 switch.

Also, i have seen the setup with the previous isp, they put static route on thier router to the inter vlan that we have on our core. + the nating. and wan sup interface.

Martin L
VIP
VIP

how many Public IPs are u getting ? this makes sense if u will get more then 1 IP.  Note that not all L3 switches can do NAT; what switch do u have and check if he can do NAT?

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

I just fixed the issue:

convert ports to access port from L3 to L2 and from L2 to isp.

Configure default route to isp port on L3. thats it.

Isp should do the nat and static to vlan ip which is on L3 sw

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card