cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR 4331 Router for routing and ISP subnet

howie09999
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to get this new ISR 4331 router to just help me route a subnet from my ISP for my new 100MB fiber line. All this router will do is route the /30 network on the 1 ethernet port to a /28 network on other ethernet port. That is all this will do so do I need to buy the router the security pack or just the standard one with ISO? When the router cost $1700 one way and like $2400 why pay for stuff I will never use.

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you only need simple routing then you don't need other than "IP Base".  You do not need the security pack.

You also really need the performance on demand licence to lift the throughput to 300Mb/s.

The base throughput is 100Mb/s total.  So if you had 50Mb/s down and 50Mb/s up, you would have 100Mb/s, and your circuit would only be half used.

I really didn't think about the 100Mbs total would be only 50U/50D. So even with the upgrade I can only push 150/150.. So all the base units numbers like ISR4351/K9 comes with the the 'IP Bases' routing and that is it which i all I need since this router is plugging right in to my brand new Sonicwall NSA 3600.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello howie09999,

when you connect a device to the public Internet you need to secure it from possible attacks.

So also if the setup looks like trivial, you may need security features like uRPF and others if in the future you are asked to build a VPN over the internet to a business partner.

so I would suggest to pay for the security package, so that you are ready for any future development.

On the other hand, an upgrade of license is always possible, but you may end up to pay more then buying directly the router with the security bundle.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

howie09999
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the response. I am going to get the ISR 4431 since it can do more bandwidth right out of the box and be able to upgrade in the future more easily than buying a larger router. I am just going to get the IP base model since this is going right behind firewall.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card