cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR 4331 - upgrade from 16.6.x to 17.3.4a Universalk9 (no SD-WAN)

jl2502051
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I'm looking for confirmation what is path from 16.6.x to 17.3.4a for Universalk9 (no SD-WAN) platform ISR 4331.

I have found table 6 in below document that says "to 17.3.x We can go only from Cisco IOS XE Release 17.2.1r or Cisco IOS XE Release 17.2.1v"

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/sdwan/configuration/sdwan-xe-gs-book/install-upgrade-17-2-later.html

So between 16.6.x and 17.3.4a should be one more step 17.2.1r? Please correct If I'm wrong.

In release notes I haven't found any more information that could bring Me closer to answer.

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@jl2502051 wrote:

So between 16.6.x and 17.3.4a should be one more step 17.2.1r? Please correct If I'm wrong.

17.2.1r is a ROMMON version.  ROMMON and IOS-XE are two different firmware.

Direct upgrade from 16.6.X to 17.X.X is possible and may need a ROMMON upgrade.  The "latest" ROMMON is 16.12(2r).

Please read this:  Cisco ISR & ASR 1k Routers: IOS-XE/Firmware Upgrade (Install Mode)

NOTE:  It is possible to do a ROMMON upgrade and an IOS-XE upgrade in one, single reboot.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@jl2502051 wrote:

17.2.1r is a ROMMON version.  ROMMON and IOS-XE are two different firmware.

Direct upgrade from 16.6.X to 17.X.X is possible and may need a ROMMON upgrade.  The "latest" ROMMON is 16.12(2r).

Please read this:  Cisco ISR & ASR 1k Routers: IOS-XE/Firmware Upgrade (Install Mode)

NOTE:  It is possible to do a ROMMON upgrade and an IOS-XE upgrade in one, single reboot.

Thank You for Your reply. Do You know if there is some official document where is confirmed that direct upgrade is possible?

@jl2502051 wrote:

Do You know if there is some official document where is confirmed that direct upgrade is possible?

Try the Release Notes.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on the Feature, Look for RAM requirement (may be not required) - but worth checking.

ROMMON requirement - 16.12(2r)

here is the release notes and upgrade guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/4400/release/xe-17-3/isr4k-rel-notes-xe-17-3.html

Note :  If you have not done smart License on 16.6.X, when you moving to 17.3 your License move to smart License, so you need to convert your PAK License to smart License.

here is the smart License :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/4400/software/configuration/guide/isr4400swcfg/isr4400swcfg_chapter_010011.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank You for reply. I agree that all requirements are of course needed to check. I couldn't find information regarding upgrade path.

I do not see any issue upgrading directly 17.x.x as i have posted release notes have information,

before Upgrade :

1. Take the backup of config out of the box.

2. do the upgrade in maintenance window.

3. suggest to have console access and restore proceedure ready, when you encounter the issue.

Also make sure you have Cisco contract any issue to open to TAC case in case required, since this new version of code.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card