cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR 4K NIM 4MFT-T1/E1 - no "interface Serial"

njsanders1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm configuring a new 4K router with a 4MFT-T1/E1, with the intent of using it as a branch router connected to a 2xT1 MPLS link.  I followed the instructions found on on this Cisco page to the letter, but something's still not right.  I had no issues defining the card type or the controllers, nor did I have a problem creating the Multilink interface.  However, I cannot configure the serial interfaces - "serial" is not an option under the "interfaces" command context.

R4261-1(config)# int serial ?

% Unrecognized command

The card does appear when I do a "show inventory."  Also, the T1s appear in a "show controllers" command output.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

eric.ahernandez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You need to define the channel-group with the timeslots in the controller (in case you're using that T1 as a Data Interface):

channel group channel-group-number {timeslots range [speed kbps ] | unframed }

Or in case you're using it for voice you define it as a ds0-group or pri-group:

ds0-group ds0-group-number timeslots timeslot-list type {e&m-delay-dial e&m-immediate-start e&m-wink-start fxo-ground-start fxo-loop-start fxs-ground-start fxs-loop-start

Both configuration examples are on that same link you posted. When you do this it will create the interface you need with the channel-group / ds0-group number, for example:

If you create channel-group 1 and your card is on slot 0/0/0 it will create a Serial 0/0/0:1 Interface

If you create ds0-group 2 and your card is on slot 0/1/0 it will create a voice-port 0/1/0:2 Interface

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

eric.ahernandez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You need to define the channel-group with the timeslots in the controller (in case you're using that T1 as a Data Interface):

channel group channel-group-number {timeslots range [speed kbps ] | unframed }

Or in case you're using it for voice you define it as a ds0-group or pri-group:

ds0-group ds0-group-number timeslots timeslot-list type {e&m-delay-dial e&m-immediate-start e&m-wink-start fxo-ground-start fxo-loop-start fxs-ground-start fxs-loop-start

Both configuration examples are on that same link you posted. When you do this it will create the interface you need with the channel-group / ds0-group number, for example:

If you create channel-group 1 and your card is on slot 0/0/0 it will create a Serial 0/0/0:1 Interface

If you create ds0-group 2 and your card is on slot 0/1/0 it will create a voice-port 0/1/0:2 Interface

Hope that helps

If both T1s are going to be part of the same multilink bundle, do I use the same channel-group number under both controllers?

It's really not necessary to do that, as it's only for your serial interfaces identification purposes, it does not affect the multilink bundling.

So if you have 2 different cards for example you can use the same channel-number and have 2 serials like Serial 0/0/0:1 and Serial 0/1/0:1, or use any other number you like (I've seen people use channel-group 17 and stuff) and there should be no problem with the multilink.

Thanks, Eric.  "It's been too long since I've done this." :)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card