Views
Helpful
Replies

ISR4300 - Boost license transfer during RMA

DamienTokyo
Level 1
Level 1

ISR4300 - Boost license transfer during RMA

Hi everyone and happy new year, one question has come to my mind recently.

Last month I have registered boost license into an ISR4321 using PAK and Smart licensing system (just had to connect the router to the Internet without proxy, following Cisco procedure. Had no issue to do it). Using a token and it was automatically registered online so no problem at all.

My question is how to proceed if I have to request an RMA and want to transfer this Boost license from a defective device to a new device during replacement ?
Would I have to follow a process inside Cisco License Administration Portal ? Would I have to connect the new router to Internet again and push the token (even if replacement is very urgent) ?

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Damien

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@DamienTokyo wrote:

My question is how to proceed if I have to request an RMA and want to transfer this Boost license from a defective device to a new device during replacement ?

1.  Request the TAC Agent to transfer the existing license to the replacement unit. 

2.  Email the License Team with the serial number of the faulty unit and the replacement unit.

Hi Leo,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Does it mean that when I receive the replacement unit I won't need to activate the Boost license on it ? No need to connect the replacement Unit to the Internet to allow it to contact online Smart License system ?

Regards,

Damien

@DamienTokyo wrote:

Does it mean that when I receive the replacement unit I won't need to activate the Boost license on it ? No need to connect the replacement Unit to the Internet to allow it to contact online Smart License system ?

I cannot answer these questions because I do not know what firmware the router will be using.

I understand thank you, so it depends on the firmware installed before shipping right. I feel like I will probably have to upgrade the router and then connect it to Smart License system right after before putting it on production.

Thanks anyway Leo

Regards,

Damien

@DamienTokyo wrote:

I feel like I will probably have to upgrade the router and then connect it to Smart License system right after before putting it on production.

Turn it the other way around. 

Cisco Smart License (CSL) support starts from 16.9.X until 17.3.2. 

What happens to CSL if the router is loaded with 16.6.X?

What happens to CSL if the router is loaded with 16.6.X?

2 solutions:

-  First solution: upgrade and then connect to CSL for boost license activation online

- Second solution: get the license file first and apply it on the router before the upgrade

Hope I can do it quickly if I need to replace a defective device

Regards,

Damien

Solution #3:  Use an IOS-XE version that does not support CSL.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card