Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with PBR and VPN access

hello, I'm trying to configure the network of my company to provide performance and VPN incoming connections. The network is made of: - 10Gb core-switch - 1Gb top of rack switches with a 10Gb to core-switch connection - multiple vlans - Cisco ASA 5515-X servers <--------> 10Gb CoreSwitch <------> TopOfRack switch <-----> Cisco ASA <---------> Internet <----------> VPN Users 172.17.10.240 172.17.10.254 So far, I tested the following: TEST 1: ======== Set gateway to IP address of the core switch. The performance are present as all inter vlans is managed by the core switch. All my vlans have a rule "allow all" or "deny all". I don't have port or IP filtering. I configured "policy based routing" on the core-switch and set the "next-hop" IP adddress to be the Cisco ASA. --> This configuration works very well for outgoing and intervlan traffic. The only issue is that my remote users connecting by VPN cannot connect to local resource. TEST 2: ======== Set gateway to IP address of the Cisco ASA. --> This configuration works very well for outgoing and intervlan traffic. The only issue is that the Cisco ASA is handling all interval traffic with a 1Gb connection, resulting in a bottleneck. I cannot find a viable solution combining performance and VPN connection. I'd appreciate all discussion or suggestion. Thank you in advance, Thierry
2 Replies 2

Hello,

can you draw your setup out and post it ? Inter-VLAN routing should happen at the core switch, not the ASA, only Internet traffic should go out to the ASA.

hello Georg,

I entirely agree that intervlan routing shoud happen on the core-switch.

Please find attached my setup.

For outgoing traffic (everything works fine):

- my internal Equipment has an IP 172.17.110.100 with Gateway 172.17.110.240 (core-switch)

- my core-switch has PBR enabled and forward the traffic (using set next-hop) to the ASA (172.17.110.254)

- the ASA forwards the traffic to the Internet

For incoming traffic (using remote VPN):

- my client has an IP assigned by a pool assigned by DHCP from the ASA)

- I can reach my ASA

- The problem is that my remote client cannot reach the internal LAN. The cause must be due to an asymetric route, the internal Equipment having a default Gateway of 172.17.110.240 and my ASA having an IP of 172.17.110.254.

Hope this helps,

Thierry

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card