cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Just got new home lab, 3 2610XM's, 2 2950G's and 1 3550 Switch

Jeromy Polachak
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to get a normal feel with everything. The basics are eluding me greatly.

I am trying to figure out how everything should be connected and just the normal way of doing everything.

I have the top router configured with an IP address and the ethernet port that goes into my computers ethernet port, with a straight through cable(i know should be a crossover cable, but luckily cisco allows it to stil work). I have the power plugged in and in the top router i have an NM-4A/S module.

The other 2610xms i have a WIC-1T in both of those and nothing really plugged in yet because i think i should plug those two together with a back to back cable? Not really sure what to do so any advice would be appreciated.

Also i am thinking i should be plugging in the console cable to each one of them first and configure an IP address for each of them first which i have only done that to the top router.

Then i have the switches the top one of that group is 3550 and then the 2 2950G's below them. Thats how the rack is set up.

2610XM NM-4A/S

2610XM WIC-1T

2610XM WIC-1T

3550 Switch

2950 G 48 Port switch

2950 G 48 Port switch                  

Also other then getting into the switch and setting up the IP address for the device, but now to connect them still eludes me. Sorry if i sound completely idiotic but still within the first 24 hours of everything. Before i got these devices didn't really know what they looked like and obviously not very aware of the cabling, also still trying to figure out what my IP address is of my TFTP server (from certificationkits).

Thanks for any help.

Jeromy
5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have the top router configured with an IP address and the ethernet port that goes into my computers ethernet port, with a straight through cable(i know should be a crossover cable, but luckily cisco allows it to stil work).

If you are learning the ropes, stick to the "program".  Use cross-over.  This'll make learning much more interesting.  The routers and switches you ordered do NOT support MDI/MDI-X.

Your first "lesson" is to learn how to do dot1q trunking, in my opinion.  Once you get a switch, with multiple VLANs, talking to the router, then you connect another router and a switch (running multiple VLANs) connected and see if devices at that end can talk to your devices at the other end. 

Not sure what you mean when you say MDI/MDI-X again apologize for my ignorance.

Jeromy

Configuring InterVLAN Routing and ISL/802.1Q Trunking on a Catalyst 2900XL/3500XL/2950 Switch Using an External Router

You have a few 2950, so don't be alarmed when the command "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q" doesn't work.  It's perfectly normal.

Thanks for the heads up. Below is what you were talking about. Thank you.

!-- In case of 2940/2950 series switches, none of the above two commands are used,
!-- 2940/2950 series switches only support 802.1q encapsulation which is configured automatically,
!-- when trunking is enabled on the interface by using switchport mode trunk command.

!-- In case of dot1q, you need to make sure that
!-- the native VLAN matches across the link.
!-- On 3512XL, by default, the native VLAN is 1.
!-- Depending on your network needs, you may change
!-- the native VLAN to be other than VLAN1,
!-- but it is very important that you change the native VLAN
!-- on the router accordingly.
!-- You may change the native VLAN, if needed, by using the following command:
!-- 3512xl(config-if)#switchport trunk native vlan

!-- Allow all VLANs on the trunk.

Jeromy

!-- In case of 2940/2950 series switches, none of the above two commands are used,

!-- 2940/2950 series switches only support 802.1q encapsulation which is configured automatically.

I believe 2955 is the same thing as well.  Because the document is pretty, pretty old, the same goes with 2960/G/S switches.  The only switch in the Catalyst 2K that will accept that command is the legacy 2900XL series.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card