cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L2TP over PPPoA

dannymcca
Beginner
Beginner

I am wanting to connect a layer 2 device to an 887VA which will communicate through an ADSL line (PPPoA) with another 887VA router which is connected to a PC.

My question is whether this is possible using L2TP?

If not, how can this be done as the layer 2 device does not have an ip address.

If this is possible how can I do this? I have been trying but dont seem to be making progress.

Many thanks.

16 Replies 16

anisaini
Beginner
Beginner

Hi Danny,

if you want to connect two 887(presumably in distant geographies) using L2tp then you need to have a layer 3 connectivity between LAC and LNS where the l2tp tunnels will be formed.

you may want to explore L2 Mpls .

Thanks    

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame Master Hall of Fame Master
Hall of Fame Master

Hello Danny,

if you want to implement a point to point L2 transport service over an IP internetwork you can use L2TPv3 for this forming an L2TPv3 tunnel between the two 887 devices.

You will need to dedicate an interface on each device for L2 termination of the service.

The two 887 will need appropriate license to run L2TPv3.

Performances will be limited to the upstream speed of the ADSL and the risk is that broadcast traffic at L2 device can easily overcome the upstream ADSL bandwidth.

So I would recommend to avoid this if possible it is not recommended having less then 1Mbps upstream to setup a L2 transport service over it.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6587/products_white_paper09186a00800a8444.shtml

Hope to help

Giuseppe