cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Lab router 2500 - login issue, confreg not working

sarbour0617
Level 1
Level 1

I grew tired of entering my username and password in my 2500 series lab router. So I removed authentication by typing "no username xxxxxx  password xxxxxx"    Or so I thought....

Different than what I expected (removal of authentication), the router still prompted me for my username, it just won't accept anything I type. 

I decided to do a password reset, I changed the register to 0x2102 and then typed "i" for Initialize.   It comes back with error "Configuration from version 12.0 message may not be understood correctly."   and then boots to running config with a prompt for username again....right back where I started.

Can someone help me understand why removing authentication by just typing "no username xxxxx password" would lock me out?

If I am actually locked out or maybe there is another way to access?

And help give me some ideas for the error I'm getting with rommon mode? 

It's a junk router and I'm inclined to throw it away because I can't practice ipv6 on it anyway.  But I thought I'd at least attempt to get it back working before I toss it.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

When at rommon mode:

Type :

o/r 0x2142

(Press enter)

i

(Press enter)

Then wait for the router to reload. Once reloaded either start from stratch or copy startup config to running config ( copy start run )
Change the authentication to whatever you wish then

Config-register 0x2102
Wr
Reload

Res
Paul

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello

When at rommon mode:

Type :

o/r 0x2142

(Press enter)

i

(Press enter)

Then wait for the router to reload. Once reloaded either start from stratch or copy startup config to running config ( copy start run )
Change the authentication to whatever you wish then

Config-register 0x2102
Wr
Reload

Res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul for the quick response.  The "confreg" mode doesn't work correctly.  This is the reason for my post.   The "i" command comes back with an error.

Thanks

Sorry Paul, I didn't read your reply closely.  I see now that I had the reg codes reversed (typing 2102 when I should have been typing 2142) and your answer was spot on!

Thanks so much!

Helllo

Your welcome and thanks for the kind rating.

Res
Paul!

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card