cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LOAD BALANCE service to 2 servers using etherchannel

celerity
Level 1
Level 1

I am unabel to find an example of how to LB service between 2 servers using a 3750..  It seems etherchannle sis mostly for switch to switch..   Does anyone have an example config?

1 IP to 2 servers?

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
In that case would the LB not be done on the server side , you can alter the LB on switch side but the only option are whats available with ...port-channel load balance command in global config

Yes this i've read my dilema is when creating the port-channel you give it an ip address and you configure the LB ports with channel-group but on server side what ip' addess is given to NIC's

cisco IP.?         Server1 IP? etc

WWW---> cisco------>server1 NIC

------->server2 NIC

Could you not use a layer 2 port-channel on switch side , add the the vlan to the etherchannel po and its member ports and then give the server nics ips in that vlan range and then set the LB on server side another option

i persume if your going l3 the nics would need to be in that po subnet range you use on switch side so they can communicate and subnet then routed ,  our server or chassis based blade servers are all done in L2 and trunked up to the core then routed there at the l3 vss

I know how to LB using proxy;s etc I was hoping cisco could LB internaly.

Only other feature I'm aware of on a 3750 is NLB which is a feature that works with load balancing on Microsoft servers never used it before though but its available on few platforms

Network Load Balancing (NLB) technology is used to distribute client requests across a set of servers.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card