Views
Helpful
Replies

Loadsharing outbound upstream traffic in bgp

truideman
Level 1
Level 1

A question;

How can i loadshare outbound upstream traffic in a bgp multihomed sitiuation whereas iam peering with 2 diffrent AS's.

Iam only receiving a default-route from my upstream peers.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello
Your two default static routes will be condictional so that you would track the upstream connectivity as such if the sla failed it would remove the related default.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

this lab for you and this what you looking for

Thanks for your lab.

Iam running IOS-XR and iam wondering what the command would look like since i only see the command "multipath" in the bgp configuration.

max-path I think for IOS-XR found under the address family 

Hello

@truideman wrote:

How can i loadshare outbound upstream traffic in a bgp multihomed sitiuation whereas iam peering with 2 diffrent AS's.
Iam only receiving a default-route from my upstream peers.

You dont mention if this is a single/dual wan rtr , if its just a single rtr with two ebgp peers then you could apply two default static routes which should overide your received defaults and provide you with egress L/B

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

The problem with adding default-routes toward upstream is that in case something happens in the upstream transmissionpath traffic would be ending up blackholed since the upstream port of the internal bgp router isn't aware of any transmission problem. 

In mean traffic could be blackholed because the upstream interface stayed UP.

Hello
Your two default static routes will be condictional so that you would track the upstream connectivity as such if the sla failed it would remove the related default.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul

I will try this solution out.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card