Views
Helpful
Replies

Log on to router remotely

grahamhyland
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is it possible to log onto a router over the internet using a pooled IP address?

I want to be able to manage some routers that are in different sites, these are just providing internet access to clients. these are 1801 and 877s

Thank you

Graham

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Graham,

The only way you could remotely login to a router is via it's WAN IP address.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Graham,

The only way you could remotely login to a router is via it's WAN IP address.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Graham,

You can access the routers over the internet with its WAN interface public IP.
You need to make sure that you have allowed the source IP address or network from where you are accessing in the access-list if you have under line vty otherwise you wont get access from not specified source.

Because I have some of the routers and accessing them over the internet. I have allowed the network from where I am accessing them under the router access-list under the line vty.

Please rate all the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Thanks for the replies,

Is there a way that I can register the dns name in case the router gets a new IP address from the ISP?

Graham

If your router's IP gets changed, then DNS won't help you. Because, you need to push the changed IP address to the DNS server as well. DNS entries are only for the hosts with static IPs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card