cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mac address aging out

jasonchang
Level 1
Level 1

i configure cisco7613 that use different vlans to service different group of users

but when i use command "show mac-address dynamic vlan **" try to show how many dynamic mac address have been learn within specific vlan , i found none , there is no any mac address existed

i use command " clear mac-address dynamic" to clear all dynamic mac-address , then i use command "show mac-address dynamic vlan **" again , i found the dynamic mac address appear

but those dynamic mac address aging time is incresing untile 300 second , then they disapper from mac address table again

there is no any complain about network access from users , but why the aging time of these mac address not refreshed

Anyone met this problems before ?

5 Replies 5

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

The mac adresses will only age-out if they are idle for 300s. This mechanism keeps the mac-adress table up to date and still relatively small.

At the moment when a node again starts to send traffic the mac-entry is re-learned.

This is how it works in all bridges & switches, including equipment from other vendors.

Regards,

Leo

Hi , Leo :

thanks for your reply ,

the true is those mac address should not age-out , because user traffic coming through device all the time , so those mac-entry should be refreshed

Please post the details about the 7600.

IOS version ?

What hardware modules?

Hi ,

this is ios version:

s72033-pk9sv-mz.122-17d.SXB4

module : super720/pfc3a/msfc3a

ws-x6724,ws-x6516

Checked the bug toolkit:

CSCec37294 Const2: sh mac-address table doesnt list the system mac-address

Please check if this could be related to your issue.

An IOS upgrade should do no harm anyway!

Regards,

Leo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: