cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Management network - connecting additional devices

gmcclintock
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, how are you all doing this holiday season? I am taking this time to get my home lab wired and configured with basic configurations so that I will be up and runny for the new year. With that said I've hit a roadblock that has been bothering me for the past week. 

I have a management network set up that allows me to manage all my devices (mostly routers) from one connection. This is how I have it set up (physically) I have a 24port switch which I am using as my management switch I've created a vlan on that switch and all my routers are connected to interfaces in that vlan. all have IP's in the same subnet as the vlan and they all go to the same default-gateway. My management PC also has an ip in the same subnet and uses the same default-gateway which allows me to communicate with each device via ethernet cable (no need to physically connect with console cable anymore)

When I want to access a devies all I have to do is load putty (ssh session) enter the ip of the device I want to reach and i'm prompted for username and password and I'm in. 

Now that is all good and well, right? I bet you are asking what is the problem? lol

Well here goes....

I would like to add another switch to the mix so that I can manage it as I do with all my other devices. 

I connect the new switch (with crossover cable) to my manage switch using an interface in the management vlan.

configured both interfaces as trunk, configure vlan on new switch (vlan 2) with an ip address in the same subnet as all my other devices and made sure I did a no shut command. The interfaces are up but and the configs match on both ends (except for the vlan number) and I can't seem to get in to the new switch. Can you tell me what I may be doing wrong or how to get this to work if it's even possible? 

Mgmt switch vlan is 20 new switch vlan is 2 I don't know if this might be the problem and I don't think it is but I've been wrong many many times before. 

Please help, thank you. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mkazam001
Level 3
Level 3

if you're using a trunk port between the switches, the mgmt vlan needs to be allowed across the trunk & it needs to exist on both switches or

you could connect the new switch to an access port on your mgmt vlan on the original switch, then create the mgmt svi on the new switch with IP in the same subnet as the mgmt vlan

regards, mk

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello, 

The Vlan numbers on both switches need to be the same...

mkazam001
Level 3
Level 3

if you're using a trunk port between the switches, the mgmt vlan needs to be allowed across the trunk & it needs to exist on both switches or

you could connect the new switch to an access port on your mgmt vlan on the original switch, then create the mgmt svi on the new switch with IP in the same subnet as the mgmt vlan

regards, mk

Ok guys thanks for the suggestions I do appreciate it, you got me on the right path.

What worked for me was this 

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
description MGMT int connected to MGMT SW int fa0/6

switchport trunk allowed vlan 20
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
duplex full

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card