cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Maximum Configurable Static NATs (1-to-1 NAT) on Cisco ISR 4000 Series

casanavep
Level 3
Level 3

Is there a maximum configurable static NAT translations (not PAT or pools) - 1-to-1 NAT statements on a Cisco ISR 4000 series router running current recommended IOS code.  I know, a firewall may be more optimal for doing huge numbers of static NATs.  I am trying to answer a niche request, which I am unable to find a clear answer for the routers or current IOS/IOS XE train's limitations. 

Thanks a ton,

P

2 Replies 2

Hello,

I do not think there is any configurable limitation in the numbers of NAT on Cisco routers. It depends on the memory. Please take at the link below. It is for Cisco IOS. It should apply on IOS XE too.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/ios-network-address-translation-nat/prod_qas0900aecd801ba55a.html

Masoud

I know since the overall performance is supposed to be more services oriented on IOS XE platforms and RAM is now measured in GBs, the number of routes, NATs, and other memory allocated information is more policed, where every process has a finite allocation of system CPU and memory resources - prevent once process or daemon from encroaching on another these days...  I figured NAT would fall under these new practices of RAM allocated to the process, if not specifically by NAT rules, by directly connected ARP entries for an interface to answer to. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card