Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Router for 200 MBPS Line

Mokhalil82
Level 4
Level 4

Hi 

I have a site and we have purchased a 200mbps link for the ISP. We are looking for a router just to peer with the ISP using BGP, so that we can control what to advertise etc.

What router is fit for purpose. I have seen a lot of 2900 routers used currently within the business and they are terminating 200MBPS and 1G lines.

But what is confusing is that the bandwidth on the 2900 router is rated nowhere near 1G. Does this mean the router will never push out 1G even if the ISP has offered a 1G line.

What would be a good choise for the 200mbps line? 

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For 200 Mbps (WAN), Cisco recommends at least a 3925E.

Yes, you can terminate 200 Mbps, or Gig links, on 2900s.  Even a 2901, under ideal circumstances is documented as being able to push 3 gig, but Cisco's recommendation allows for much more than ideal.

I've attached a Cisco whitepaper, that has many performance details for the 29xx and 39xx series.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For 200 Mbps (WAN), Cisco recommends at least a 3925E.

Yes, you can terminate 200 Mbps, or Gig links, on 2900s.  Even a 2901, under ideal circumstances is documented as being able to push 3 gig, but Cisco's recommendation allows for much more than ideal.

I've attached a Cisco whitepaper, that has many performance details for the 29xx and 39xx series.

Thanks Joseph, the white paper is very useful

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card