cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Metro Ethernet management ip address

Dustin Flint
Level 1
Level 1

Jsut curious if anybody has seen this. I have 4 Metro Ethernet switches. I have access to these switches from a network monitor for backups . However one switch is not working. I can ping it from the local switch it is directly connected to, but not from the monitor or anywhere else on that network segment. The network monitor is on the local subnet, and if I do an arp lookup, it sees the mac address correctly. I am probably missing something, but has anyone else experienced this problem.

8 Replies 8

Hi,

Telnet or ssh.from the switch works?

If not, console cable is the next option.

No they do not. Thats untimately what I am trying to figure out. Why can't I access this switches from remote. It has the same basic config as my other ME3800s that I can reach from remote.

Well, looks like console is your last option.

I don't believe that to be accurate. There has to be a reason remote access isnt working. It works on all the others. Just has to be something I am missing.

There's one way to access a device remotely. Take the device's IP address, use some kind of software based on ssh,Telnet or http and try to access.

In your case where the switch respond to ping but not give you access on the same segment where other device does, what you could be missing?

Yes, I understand how to access a device remotely.

Your statement "In your case where the switch respond to ping" is not accurate. Please read my original question.

What I am trying to figure out is why this particular device I cannot access remotely. I can not ping, telnet, or ssh to it remotely. The only thing that can ping it is the local switch the Management interface is plugged into. I have 3 other ME switches setup the exact same way, on the exact same subnet and I can ping and access those remotely without issues. I am trying to igure out why this particular switch would be any different.

I got it @Dustin Flint

Let me try to be more clear. Looking your statement, I´d say that the failing switch may loose some configuration as it was working and stopped whilst its peers is ok.

For example, if you are trying to access it from another network, it may lost its gateway configuration. So, the access request may get to it but it dont know who to reply, just to list one possibility here.

What I tried to point is, considering this scenário and the information I have from your description, the next step is double sheck the device configuration.

The suggestion I gave which is try to telnet/SSH from another switch could solve the problem, once with access to the failing switch you could see what´s going on there. However, as this possibility is also discarted. I see no alternative but console to the switch.

Ok, I think we are just on 2 different pages.

For example, if you are trying to access it from another network, it may lost its gateway configuration. So, the access request may get to it but it dont know who to reply, just to list one possibility here:

- Everything is on the same subnet, so no defualt gateway is needed. Example lets say my managment server is 192.168.10.2 and my 4 ME switches MGMT interfacaces are 192.168.10.10-13. I can access 10,11,12 with no problem, but not 13. All switches appear to have the same configuration except for IP address and host name. 

It is like nothing on the local subnet can ping/access the MGMT interface for just that one server. Only the switch directly connected to it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card