cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

More than one PIM BSR rp-candidate in Nexus 10.2(6)

pzkqx6000
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have 4 Nexus switches. I want one pair to be the RP for 239.30.0.0/16 and the backup RP for 224.100.0.0/16, and the other pair to do exactly the opposite.
This is the configuration I want to apply to the Nexus switches, with the same config but different priorities on the other ones:

ip pim bsr bsr-candidate loopback0 priority 49
ip pim bsr rp-candidate loopback0 group-list 239.30.0.0/16 priority 10
ip pim bsr rp-candidate loopback0 group-list 224.100.0.0/16 priority 20
ip pim log-neighbor-changes
ip pim ssm range 232.0.0.0/8
ip pim bsr forward listen
The problem is, when I enter the second "ip pim bsr rp-candidate" line, it just removes the previous one. It only allows me to have a single statement, so I cannot achieve what I want. Is this expected behavior or is it a bug?
If this is how it works, how could I accomplish what I want?

For the moment, what I did is have one pair configured with "ip pim bsr rp-candidate loopback0 group-list 224.0.0.0/4 priority 10" and the other pair with "ip pim bsr rp-candidate loopback0 group-list 239.30.0.0/16 priority 10". I do not like this approach.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

6 Replies 6

Enes Simnica
Level 1
Level 1

hello @pzkqx6000. I haven’t worked extensively with Nexus switches yet, but I’m currently involved in a project that includes them, so I’ve been digging into the documentation and learning quite a bit.

Regarding your question, it seems that what you’re experiencing is expected behavior with Nexus switches. Nexus devices only allow a single allow a single ip pim bsr rp-candidate statement per interface, which means you can't have multiple group lists on the same loopback interface. So, to accomplish what you're aiming for, where each pair of switches acts as the RP for different multicast groups and as a backup for others, you might consider the following options:

First you need to use different loopback interfaces:

• You can assign different loopback interfaces for each RP-candidate statement. For example:

interface loopback0
    ip address 1.1.1.1/32
    ip pim bsr rp-candidate loopback0 group-list 239.30.0.0/16 priority 10

interface loopback1
    ip address 2.2.2.2/32
    ip pim bsr rp-candidate loopback1 group-list 224.100.0.0/16 priority 20

• Then, on the other pair of switches, you can reverse the priorities or adjust the loopback assignments.

After that, MSDP (Multicast Source Discovery Protocol):

If your network design is more complex, MSDP could be a good approach. It allows different RPs on different routers to share multicast source information, providing redundancy and load balancing.

Single RP Setup with Failover:

Another option could be to designate a single RP for all groups and use PIM Anycast or other methods to ensure failover and redundancy, although this might require rethinking your group-list strategy.

Your current setup with a broad group-list (224.0.0.0/4) is a practical workaround, though I understand it may not be your preferred solution. If you want to explore more advanced configurations, I think Cisco TAC could offer more targeted guidance (in my opinion).

And that’s all I can help with from what I’ve read and labbed until now. Hope this will help. ALSO, I would also suggest using EVEng so you can test this setup there first.

-Enes

Thank you for your reply. I have just tried what you said but it does not work either. I have created a new loopback1 and as soon as I enter the new line it just removes the previous one.

version 10.2(6) Bios:version 07.69
feature pim

ip pim bsr bsr-candidate loopback0 priority 199
ip pim bsr rp-candidate loopback1 group-list 239.30.0.0/16 priority 20

I could not find anywhere where it says it is not supported

Well, I’m currently labbing on EVE-NG, and as soon as I find something, I’ll let you know. I guess it’s labbing time! Hehehe (DOUBLE LOOL)

Hello
Same result for me also, you would most probably need either have one NK pair to be the active MC MA/RP or go down Anycast or SSM route.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello
You should be able to create the necessary resiliency for each group, but it will require two loopbacks that are reachable and have pim sparse mode enabled, however only a single bsr mapping agent will be active.

Nkx
int loopback 0/1
ip pim spare-mode

ip pim bsr listen forward
ip pim bsr-candidate Loopback0 10
ip pim rp-candidate Loopback0 group-list xxxxx/16 priority 1
ip pim rp-candidate Loopback1 group-list yyyyy/16  priority 100

Nky
int loopback 0/1
ip pim spare-mode

ip pim bsr listen forward
ip pim bsr-candidate Loopback0  <-----will be active BSR MA
ip pim rp-candidate Loopback0 group-list xxxxx/16 priority 100
ip pim rp-candidate Loopback1 group-list yyyyy/16  priority 1

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Then I have a bug, cause I cannot have in the config two ip pim rp-candidate <interface> statements. No matter if they are using same interface or not. I have tried all and it does not work. Thank you @paul driver and @Enes Simnica , I will open a case.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card