cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS configuration between two routers

Clay Plaga
Level 3
Level 3

I am just starting my Cisco studies. I have a test network with two Cisco 2911 routers. Can I configure MPLS between the two routers as a WAN connection? Would I use the gigabit interfaces to connect the two routers?

Also, what is the command to see the IP address on a WIC T2 expansion card?

Thank you.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Sure,  but with only 2 routers you topology and possibilities are very small/limited.  I would suggest using GNS3 with old 7200 IOS 15.x image.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

WIC T2 card one that gives you 2 serial ports must be configured with ip address command to get IP. show ip int brief is command to see all your interfaces with or w/o IPs. Yes, use gigabit interfaces and crossover cable to test MPLS.  And using virtual gear like GNS3 with 4-5 routers gives you more options to configure/test different things in MPLS which usually runs over OSPF or ISIS.

I think you will need serial back-to-back cable for  WIC T2 card but not sure. 

Regards, ML

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Sure,  but with only 2 routers you topology and possibilities are very small/limited.  I would suggest using GNS3 with old 7200 IOS 15.x image.

Regards, ML

Thank you for the response. What do you mean by, small/limited possibilities? It is just a test network. I just want to see if I can configure the MPLS correctly.

Also do you know what the command is to see the IP address of a WIC T2 card?

Thank you.

WIC T2 card one that gives you 2 serial ports must be configured with ip address command to get IP. show ip int brief is command to see all your interfaces with or w/o IPs. Yes, use gigabit interfaces and crossover cable to test MPLS.  And using virtual gear like GNS3 with 4-5 routers gives you more options to configure/test different things in MPLS which usually runs over OSPF or ISIS.

I think you will need serial back-to-back cable for  WIC T2 card but not sure. 

Regards, ML

Hello,

you can either connect both routers back to back using an Ethernet (cross) cable, or by using a DTE/DCE serial cable and connect both WIC cards/interfaces. Both the FastEthernet and serial interfaces should take the 'mpls ip' command (although I am not sure which IOS version you are running, keeping in mind that your routers are outdated).

The 2911 router is running:     version 15.0 (1r)M16.

The system image is:   c2900-universalk9-mz.spa.153-3.M5.bin

I will be using GE0/2 on both 2911 routers. Can I configure MPLS with that IOS?

Thank you.   

Hello,

check if the interface command 'mpls ip' is available. Your IOS version is rather old, so I am not sure...

On the 2911, when I run interface ? from config mode, I don't see any mpls commands available. It may not be possible.

Thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card