Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS from provider - router managed by us - questions

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

I have seen at my new company that the MPLS is provided by BT, However it seems that my predecessor configured the routers and we manage them.

On on the routers I can see BGP and OSPF configured, with also tunnel interfaces that connect some of our sites direct over the MPLS.

I have some questions.

1.Who would configure the BGP into there cloud, would this be a BT intital config

2.Why is ospf on there, is that to provide connection for BGP between the peers OR maybe our ospf that we can run over the MPLS between the sites?

3.why would be have tunnels on there

who would do what config and what is the normal procedure ?

hope someone can help

2 Replies 2

Alex Pfeil
Level 7
Level 7

BGP Is so that you don't have static routes to the outside

OSPF would be used for internal routing and as the summary point between the inside and BGP

The tunnels are to protect your info traversing the MPLS cloud

BGP info would be needed from the ISP to configure

Thanks

Alex

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

AJ Cruz
Level 3
Level 3

ISPs usually prefer to peer with their MPLS customers using BGP. They can do IGP (OSPF, EIGRP, etc) or static routing, but from what I've seen they usually prefer BGP.

Typically you would run BGP just at the WAN edge and do redistribution between it and your IGP. That's probably why you're running both BGP & OSPF. As for the tunneling. I can think of a few scenarios where tunneling would be used:

1. The branch uses a media such as EVDO that the provider will only route one IP address for

2. Encryption is required (GRE + IPSec)

3. There are some routes (say the default route perhaps) that the admin only wants advertised to this site (not the entire MPLS domain)

4. To connect distant VRFs

The routing table should give clues.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card