Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS Multicast 1CE can ping both Multicast, other CE can ping only 1

rpalmeida
Level 1
Level 1
Hello.

I have to implement a scenario similar to or the same as what I am trying in the picture that I send as an attachment.

I have 2xCE and I have 2xPE.

From 1 CE, i can ping the 2 multicast groups (239.0.0.2 and 239.0.0.4)
From the other CE i can only ping the multicast group that is configured locally, not the remote one.

Can you help me?

I am attaching the configs and pings.

Thanks.
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello
Did you find a solution for this?
Looking at your cfg, You are using static ASM , with the PE configured as the RP, so Curious  do you have reachability to this RP?
from either R6/8?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

Hi Paul,

Quickly looking at the configurations, I can see that multicast is not configured in the core.

In the legacy mVPN solution (draft-rosen), the customer multicast traffic is encapsulated in a GRE tunnel in the core. This GRE tunnel destination address is a multicast address for the default MDT.

This solution will not work unless multicast (SSM or ASM) is properly configured in the core.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hello
Did you find a solution for this?
Looking at your cfg, You are using static ASM , with the PE configured as the RP, so Curious  do you have reachability to this RP?
from either R6/8?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

Quickly looking at the configurations, I can see that multicast is not configured in the core.

In the legacy mVPN solution (draft-rosen), the customer multicast traffic is encapsulated in a GRE tunnel in the core. This GRE tunnel destination address is a multicast address for the default MDT.

This solution will not work unless multicast (SSM or ASM) is properly configured in the core.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi Harold,

Nice seeing you too.

As i told to Paul, the only way to get both sides ( CA1 and CA2 ) joining an IGMP GROUP is having PIM in CORE.

If PIM is not in CORE, side from CA1 can join IGMP from CA1 and can join IGMP from CA2.

Side CA2 cant join IGMP from CA1.

Thanks for your response.

Best Regards.

Hi @rpalmeida ,

> If PIM is not in CORE, side from CA1 can join IGMP from CA1 and can join IGMP from CA2.

This is due to the standard PIM behavior. Multicast traffic (ping 239.0.0.4) from CA2 reaches PE2, which is the first hop router (FHR) and this FHR encapsulates the multicast traffic and sends it as unicast traffic (PIM register message) towards the RP (PE1). Since PE1 already has a (*,G) state for 239.0.0.4 because of the IGMP report message received from CA1, traffic can be sent to CA1.

On the other end, multicast traffic from CA1 (ping 239.0.0.2), reaches PE1, which is the RP and does not have a (*,G) for 239.0.0.2 as this would require PIM to be enabled in the core. Therefore traffic can't make it to PE2 and CA2.

This explains why you can see the PIM client domain multicast traffic working in one direction, but not in the other when PIM is not enabled in the core.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi Paul.

Nice seeing you.

The only way to get both sides ( CA1 and CA2 ) joining an IGMP GROUP is having PIM in CORE.

If PIM is not in CORE, side from CA1 can join IGMP from CA1 and can join IGMP from CA2.

Side CA2 cant join IGMP from CA1.

Thanks for your response.

Best Regards.

rpalmeida
Level 1
Level 1

The information you 2 passed me was very usefull to get around this.

Thanks.

You are very welcome @rpalmeida and thanks for the feedback

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600