Views
Helpful
Replies

mpls network ospf overlay using tunnels

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

we have a mpls nework from the ISP, wires only so we manage the routers etc. its uses BGP.

however we need the traffic encrypted between all the sites and our HQ, we have a primary and backup router at HQ

The engineer has configured gre tunnels to the HQ primary router only, as the backup router tunnel IP will only be seen in bgp if the primary goes down.

my question is, i gather from the HQ end, would have to configure a tunnel to each remote site both on the primary and backup routers.?

and is this a good method to achieve this?

I noticed he also used crypto maps rather than vti tunnels, but only matched the GRE tunnel source and endpoints, is this OK ?

1 Reply 1

Florin Barhala
Level 6
Level 6

Hello,

First of all most of the time I prefer VTI instead of cryptomaps. There are few scenarios when VTI are not enough. I have couple scenarios like your up and running. Here is my setup:

- I keep both primary and secondary router IP address UP and running, then establish VTI between these two HQ routers and each branch.

- I run OSPF over all this infrastructure, then I add some inbound cost for each backup interface.

This helps me get a very good recovery time. Finally I use IP SLA and tracking.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card