Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS VPN - Problem with communication between CustA-CustA1 and PE1-CA1

TommyKay
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I hope you are doing well. I am having an issue with communication between Customer A router and CustomerA1 router. Additionally, what is strange is that when I try to ping from PEdge2 router to CustomerA router's loopback0, the ping is successful

(ping vrf 101:CustA 100.100.100.100)

However, when I try to ping from PEdge1 router to CustomerA1 router's loopback0, the ping fails

(ping vrf 101:CustA 111.111.111.111)

The topology and configuration have been created with the implementation of 6VPE (once I can resolve the communication issues) and tunneling in the lower part of the topology. Please find the attached images of the topology, interfaces, and their addresses and configurations of the routers(zip file) and the project files(zip and link to Google drive).

I have tried various commands to test the network, but apparently, I am missing something that is causing this problem. The network is set up in GNS3, and the routers are from the 7200 series

(c7200-adventerprisek9-mz.124-24.T5.image)

I would greatly appreciate any guidance that could help me solve this communication problem.

Best regards!

Link to project: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NQ5XiPm_Ic-JKMFjXVsRmPIFr2klTRcV?usp=sharing

59 Replies 59

Thank you for the precise answer @Harold Ritter .
In a meantime, I've configured the bottom part of the network to run IPv6(everything works I guess(pings)). Added to int tunel1 ipv6 address and checked on

PEdge3

whether I get next hoop of

44.44.44.44(l0 PEdge4)

if I put l0 IPv6 address of

CustomerB1(2001:202::1/128)

PEdge3#show ipv6 cef vrf 102:CustB 2001:202::1
2001:202::1/128
nexthop 44.44.44.44 Tunnel1 label 819

I think it works!

I think the last thing that I'm worried about is lagging in the GNS3. I'm not sure when it showed up, maybe when I changed the ISO to 15.2 (but I'm not sure) the console started to lag. Pings are very slow, as traceroutes are. Maybe the reason behind it is that I've created so many snapshots of the project(there are 29 snapshots of a total of 3GB).
Have you got any idea, what could cause the problem? I need to solve it asap because this small project was going to help me check the performance of the 6VPE vs tunneling speed between two sides. Right now the roundtrip times are not acceptable at all :(.

I attach ping command outputs with the round-trip time and two videos presenting the laggy behavior.

link to videos: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fBkpASdUwWlZxAZ-XcjTbD8OIJXsNVGD?usp=sharing

Hi @TommyKay ,

I am glad that hear that you got 6VPE to work over MPLS TE.

Have you got any idea, what could cause the problem?

I am unfortunately not the best person to help with GNS3 issues, as I always use CML to run my labs.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Okay, thank you @Harold Ritter  once again for the answer and all the help with the topology :)!

There are two mpls te 

One use static path and other use dynamic path

Here you use dynamic path with bw 7500000 this make header or tail of tunnel use only link with this specific bw.

So to make this tunnel up with bw command only change the bw for link between all router to be equal or high than this value and check again.

For ping you must sure success when tunnel up' 

So change bw and check status of tunnel.

You're right @MHM Cisco World . I checked it once again in Chat GPT and it said the same thing. I've set the rsvp bandwidth to

ip rsvp bandwidth percent 100

and then in an

int tunnel1 tunnel mpls traffic-eng bandwidth 990000

Adjusting these commands allows me to not exceed the available bandwidth on the interface, which would otherwise cause problems with the use of the tunnel.

Later I will change my profile name to be MHM chat GPT lol...

Now tunnel is UP so can you ping ?

Haha, yes @MHM Cisco World , both sites are able to ping each other using IPv4 and IPv6, and the traffic goes through the tunnel.
The last thing is lagging in the console. I've seen on the GNS3 forum that there isn't any specific solution to this. Maybe I should allocate more resources to GNS3 VM, but previously the settings were the same(2048MB ram, 1vCPU).

EDITED: The pings work like 1 out of 5, but it is 100% due to this lagging issue and once again all the Provider routers are console logging the issue with neighbors.

EDITED2@MHM Cisco World , @Harold Ritter I'm providing the results of the laggy console in GNS3. It's the new image (c7200-adventerprisek9-mz.152-4.M7) fault, that the console is laggy and I'm losing packets so badly. I've replaced this image with the old one, on which the routers were configured at the beginning(c7200-adventerprisek9-mz.124-24.T5) and it runs like a China Express!
It didn't help to add 5 CPUs and 6GB of RAM to GNS3 VM In Virtualbox to improve the performance. When I ran the topology with the IOS 15.2, the CPU usage in GNS3 was 100% (on all 6 of them!) and the RAM was quite normal. Right now(using IOS 12.4) the CPU usage is still relatively high around 65% but and RAM 27%, but everything works great(pings, traceroutes, tunneling etc.).

I guess that's quite an interesting thing to think about, that changing the IOS could impact the performance of the whole topology and console use.

Go to each one of router right click select idle process'

This will make gns3 search for idle value to run virtual router.

I am in my gns3 cpu not run above 2%.

Hi @TommyKay ,

I continue to say that your initial configurations were good and that the problem was someplace else. I quickly loaded your configurations and I could ping from

CustomerA to CustomerA1, from PEdge1 to CustomerA1 and from PEdge2 to CustomerA.

Changing the subnet number is just a side effect.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

I thought about the magic error/inability to reach another side as it happened often in CPT. I turned GNS3 off and on and it was still present. It might be, that changing the subnet was like the drop in the ocean.

Thank you @Harold Ritter for your answer and time!

@TommyKay ,

What I could see from the output you provided

(sh bgp vpnv4 uni all summary)

is that none of the bgp sessions were up. Normally you would have started the troubleshooting from there.

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Harold Ritter
Level 12
Level 12

Hi @TommyKay ,

Your configurations look good. Can you attach the following commands output from

PEdge1 and PEdge2
sh bgp vpnv4 uni all summ

sh bgp vpnv4 uni all

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Hi @Harold Ritter, the following command outputs are below. 

@Harold Ritter

He use lo 11.11.11.11 as update soure of PE

And he use 11.0.0.0 between pe_ce

This with behave of opsf and mpls make issue. 

So I suggested to him change it. 

For

vpnv4 and next-hop

self I will trt share lab these three days.

Thanks 

Hi @MHM Cisco World ,

He use lo 11.11.11.11 as update soure of PE

This is in the global routing table.

> This is in the vrf routing table.

There is no conflict.

For

vpnv4 and next-hop

self 

next hop self is the default behavior with vpnv4. 

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México