Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast request

parveesm123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a requirement a requirement of Live video streaming.

we have couple of offices and they all interconnected now.

if one office having any video conference it should be available for other offices users as well

one of the solution what we thought about is using multicast. since i am not well versed with multicasting technology require anyof your help to find out a feasible solution

each site will be having a server ( we can call it as media server) and i want to run multicasting between these servers connected in the network. only the media servers will be part of the multicast group.

if office 1 has live conference it will be saving the life stream in the media server placed at office 1 and this server will be multicasting the traffic to other media servers in individual offices and they will be able to see the live conference or video.

slight delay is acceptable for me.

attached herewith is the diagram which shows the overview of the requirement.

is it possible to implement multicast in this scenarios if yes , which one you suggest.. if not .... can you tell me why is it

and many thanks in advance

-Parvees

4 Replies 4

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Parvees

technically it is possible but the way to be implemented depends on the underlying infrastructure like what is the layer 2 link between the offices is it frame-relay, Ethernet, fiber ..etc

al what you need is to enable multicast routing you could use PIM sparse mode

if each server will be the sender at a time then you can configure each site with differnt multicast group and make the local router the RP for that group

or you canhave one RP or for redundancy to RPs with differnt priority

you can find in Cisco.com many documents about configuring PIM sparse mode for multicasting

also i am assuming your switches support multicasting ( like Cisco IGMP Snooping )

hope this help

if helpful rate

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Parvees,

Have a look at the configuration example in this link.  If each router in each location is doing the local routing and you are using a different subnet for each location, you need to turn on PIM and make sure that they are peered correctly.

What Cisco devices are you using?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk828/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094821.shtml

HTH

Ok ,

If i am planning for PIM-SM with different groups ( each location media servers can be a sender as well as reciever) . So , if i am configuring each location in different groups and a RP in each location , so if location A server which is in GROUP 1 if it is acting as sender and multicastin the video streaming traffic to Location B GROUP 2 RP , this will work seamelesly with out any issues ?

I had gone through documents and found out that we can make One router as MULTIPLE RP , i didnt get the point ...

can anyone guide me please.

-Thanks

Parvees

ok simply the RP is used just to join the Multicast Trees the sender with the receivers

once the joining done then by default Mulitcast will flow using shortest path ( not through the RP ) using the underlying unicast routing thats why you need to make sur eyou do not run in RPF issue where the receiver get the multicase via interface not the preferred one in the unicast routing table to reach the source subnet ( it can be fix but need some additional config )

hope this help

if helpful Rate

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card