2 10.169.10.5 0 msec

10.169.10.45 12 msec

10.169.10.5 12 msec

3 10.250.4.189 20 msec

10.250.4.193 4 msec 0 msec

4 10.170.10.62 0 msec 0 msec 4 msec

5 10.170.10.30 4 msec 4 msec 0 msec

6 10.170.170.246 4 msec 4 msec 4 msec

Now in hop 2 I understand that there are multiple equal weight routes. This represents our redundant switches. I don't know why the 10.169.10.5 address comes up twice though. I've seen it before and just accepted it until I was showing a new kid and he asked but I don't have the answer for it. Why does the traceroute from Cisco devices pick up the redundant route? Does it function differently than a traceroute from Windows or Linux?

It's funny how after awhile of doing things you just accept it as normal but I can't explain something that should be very basic.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information  contained within this    posting without consideration and with the  reader's understanding  that   there's no implied or expressed suitability  or fitness for any   purpose.  Information provided is for informational  purposes only and   should not  be construed as rendering professional  advice of any kind.   Usage of  this posting's information is solely at  reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever    (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or    profit) arising  out of the use or inability to use the posting's    information even if  Author has been advised of the possibility of  such   damage.

Posting

Believe hop 2 is just round-robin.  Try increasing your trace probes up from 3 and check results.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco