cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

My network is going crazy (Static Routing)

Greg555
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

So I have this network. However I think I must have done something to the static routing because right now the packets doesnt take that shortest way possible but insted some random way, sometimes it doesnt ever reach its destination. Also, all of my routers each have like 12+ static routing connections, is that normal?

7d3702ec92aefe0838dd54b6b7a68c68

I don't really know what I should do with that static routing. Also, the PC:s on one of the side can't talk to the other side. 

So my questions is:

* What should I do to make my static routing stable

* What should I do to make the PC:s talk to eachother

Thank you!

/Greg

20 Replies 20

I created a unique VLAN. I also changing the routers current IP to the switch to the same one on each.

So to be clear, you created a unique VLAN on the switch and assigned it to ALL the ports the routers are connected?

And when you say you changed the routers current IP to the switch the same on each, do you mean you gave all the routers the same IP? Because they should be in the same IP network, not the exact same IP.

When you've done that you should check to see if the routers establish OSPF neighbors across the interfaces to the switch (show ip ospf neighbor). If you don't see that you should try to ping from one router to the other three router interfaces in that network.

If that doesn't work, then post the switch config and we'll take it from there.

Ohh, I had the same IP for all the routers, I changed it so they're still in the same network and now it works!!

A big thank you for your help, I really learned a lot!

Great. Thanks for the update.

Happy networking

dbeattie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Greg,

Static routing is generally fine when there is only one valid path. So router1 and router8 can be configured with just an upstream default route to Centre4 and Centre2 respectively. Their downstream routes are connected interfaces, so should not need a route to be entered. The following static routes will be needed:

Centre2 will need a static to 192.168.55.0/24 through router8

Centre4 will need a route to 192.168.65.0/24 through router1

The four Centre routers should run a dynamic routing protocol because there are multiple valid paths. They should all peer together and connected interfaces and static routes should be redistributed in as needed. Using static routes in between the four Centre routers would leave you open to a number of nasty failure modes.

I have to say that my choice here would be to get all routers in the infrastructure into a single OSPF area include all subnets in it. To my mind this is simpler that having to think about statics.

Hope this helps

Dave

Thank you for your answer!!

Hmm interesting. How do I make the routers in the infrastructure into a single OSPF area?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card