Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT on two diff subinterface of single physical interface

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

hello,

i am having one ethernet port e0 and can i created two different subinterface like inter e0.1 and e0.2 and can i configure the NAT between two different subinterface so that if one subinterface haiving ISP address and other having local network address of my lan so i can provide internet to my internal lan.

I am having 2501 series router...

and give me more detail information aboute subinterfaces on ethernet port and its encapsulation.

regards

Devang

4 Replies 4

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Subinterfaces are not supported on the 2500 series.

Please check the URL below for info about how to use subinterfaces on a 1700

Regards,

Leo

thanks for your reply.

but can u tell me wht will be the requirement to creat the subinterfaces on ehternet port? and what kind of encapsulation, speed it want???

what is the exact working please send it to me i want it in detail....

regards

devang

Hello,

a subinterface is a logical interface, i.e. for ethernet you need an encapsulation dot1Q (802.1q) or ISL (cisco proprietary).

The requirement is, that the IOS and the hardware supports it - as a rule of thumb: a FastEthernet interface will usually support VLANs and subinterfaces. In case you would have support, the configuration would look like this:

interface FastEthernet0/0.100

description to ISP

encapsulation dot1Q 100

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat outside

interface FastEthernet0/0.200

description inside LAN

encapsulation dot1Q 200

ip address 10.10.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

The maximum "speed of a subinterface" will be given by the physical interface, i.e. both subinterfaces in the example above share the 100Mbps of the physical interface.

Configuration examples and explanations can be found f.e. in "Routing Between VLANs Overview" and subsequent sections at

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca801.html

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Devang,

Try nat on a stick instead.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094430.shtml

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card