Helpful
Replies

NAT using public IP on LAN side

Mauro Antivero
Level 1
Level 1

Hello to all.

I'm trying to configure NAT in the following toplogy:

Edge router (private network A) ------ (private network A) CiscoRouter (private network B and public network A) ------ Servers in the private nertwork B and servers in the public network A

If I configure a server in the "public network A" (IP, default GW and DNS) I can access the Internet, all fine. But now I need to configure a server in the "private network B" and do NAT in CiscoRouter to access Internet.

The problem as you can see is that I don't have a public IP Addres in the "WAN side" of the CiscoRouter, which would be the typical case of a home router NAT.

I really don't know if I can do this in a Cisco router, but in a Linux router is perfectly possible. I have the same scenario in a Linux router working perfectly.

In my case I need this two networks (private network B and public network A) to be on the "LAN side" of CiscoRouter because I need some server with private address and NAT to access the Internet and some others with public IP and direct access to/from the Internet.

Can you help me please? Do you need some network scheme to clarify?

Thanks a lot in advance and best regards.

Mauro.

2 Replies 2

Hi Mauro,

If I got correctly you question, you would do it with a similar static nat statement, assuming you have all other nat required configurations set correctly:

ip nat inside source static tcp <private-ip-address> 80 <public-ip-address> 80

Example:

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.0.1 80 1.1.1.1 80

Regards,

Aref

Mukesh Kumar
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Mauro

Can you please explain your network design clearly?

Regards,
Mukesh Kumar
Network Engineer
Spooster IT Services

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card