Views
Helpful
Replies

NEED HELP! CONFIGURING PPPOE SERVER ON A CISCO ROUTER

MOMO
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to simulate a PPPoE Server-SOHO Clients network in my lab and I can't make it to work. I'm not sure if I am missing something, so I badly need your help.

Here's the setup:

Cisco 2600 router is to be configured as PPPoE Server. One ethernet port of the router is connected to the Internet source, while the second ethernet port is connected to a Cisco switch that is also connected to 2 Windows computers (that will be used as PPPoE clients).

My problems:

1. PPPoE clients are not getting the correct subnet mask; instead of /24, clients are getting /32.

2. Clients do not have (or not receiving) default gateway. The only info they get from the DHCP server are: IP address, subnet mask (which is incorrect), and DNS server.

Below is the router config:

!
hostname PPPoE_Server
!
!
ip dhcp excluded-address 192.168.10.1 192.168.10.5
!
!
ip dhcp pool PPPoE_Clients
  network 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0
  default-router 192.168.10.1
  dns-server 8.8.8.8
!
!
username MOMO password 123456789
!
!
bba-group pppoe PPPoE_LAB
  virtual-template 1
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
  description INTERNET_SOURCE
  ip address 172.16.255.254 255.255.255.0
  ip nat outside
  duplex auto
  speed auto
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
  no ip address
  duplex auto
  speed auto
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/1.30
  description SIMULATION_PPPoE
  encapsulation dot1Q 30
  ip nat inside
  ip virtual-reassembly
  pppoe enable group PPPoE_LAB
!
!
interface Virtual-Template1
  ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0
  peer default ip address dhcp-pool PPPoE_Clients
  ppp authentication chap callin
!

Will really appreciate it if you can help me.

20 Replies 20

Hi Francesco,

Indeed, it would need to be a very specific setup; I have not come across it myself yet. By the way, on point-to-point links including PPPoE sessions, OSPF should ignore the netmask - that is by design (RFC 2328 Section 8.2).

Best regards,
Peter

If you consider OSPF point-to-point yes you're right. Let's see a biggest picture with multiple clients you want to peer using OSPF.
Again it's something very rare and not the best design. All my old customers (2 of them) where I did this kind of config, are now migrated using DMVPN. At the beginning they wanted all sites interconnected and getting ospf peering using their WAN PPP address.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi Francesco,

What I'm trying to accomplish here is to simulate the connection between regular home routers with DSL ISP, where, using PPPoE protocol, we can connect our home routers to the DSL modems and be able to get WIFI Internet.

So the assumption is we cannot do anything on the home router, except setting up the PPPoE username and password.

Thank you.

Ok then I say again what I said before that getting /24 is useless and more than that, you won't be able to do so if your assumption is just to modify username and password.
Anyway, I gave you the solution but my recommendation in your case is to keep as is with your /32 and everything will work perfectly.

Why do you want to see the /24 mask?

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Actually, i am not very particular about the subnet mask. I was just thinking that PPPoE client should get the same info set on the DHCP server. Anyway, will it work even if the clients are not getting default gateway info?

Also, my assumption is based on the fact that really you cannot do much configuration on a home routers like Linksys or Netgear.

Yes it'll work without the additional config to get the /24 mask.

Thanks
Francesco
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco