cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Upgrade and int vlan routing question

forgetoo
Level 1
Level 1

I want to give a breif overview of the current setup and what I had planned to do in the future.  This is also where a few questions come into play.  Currently we have 3 10.x.x.x subnets between three buildings with a wan connection.  This connection is invisible to us so it can be seen as just a lan.  The speed is 100mb.  We have a 2811 router sitting at each building translating their traffic back to 10.3.1.1.  We then have a router in the main building which ships the 10.3.x.x traffic to a ASA and then out the door to a ISP.

My plan was to upgrade this 100mb WAN connection to 10g fiber between our buildings as they are in extremely close range of each other.  I would need a equipment upgrade as a 2811 won't support 10g traffic.  Rather than replacing 3 routers in each of the buildings it seemed logical that I could get something like a catalyst 4500 or 6500 and do int vlan routing making it all one huge campus lan.  Creating a vlan for each building to segment the traffic between them.  My understanding was that a cat 3500/4500/6500 did not need a router with sub interfaces in a one arm setup to bridge this traffic.  This is where the problem comes in.

I used the following guide from cisco.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_configuration_example09186a008019e74e.shtml

I tested with a cat 3560 and was unable to get the vlans to route correctly.  Do I have to have a router to get int vlan routing to work?  If so then I might as well get a Router which can handle multiple 10g fiber for the core instead of a cat 4500/6500 since I'd need the router to do the int vlan routing anyway?

Any help with these questions would be much appreciated.

17 Replies 17

I would also have to change the routers ip to 10.3.3.something since one of its interfaces is currently 10.3.3.1 then assign that to the switchport.  But I do understand what you are getting at.

The ASA isn't running eigrp to my knowledge it takes 10.3.3.x inside and converts to a external ip.  Both ASA and 3845 (ATM) that connects to the isp have static routes.

Then you should also set some static routes on the ASA ( maybe also modify the NAT config ) , and maybe the Provider also has to set the static routes, this depending your setup.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card