cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New DSL router recommendations

Kevin Melton
Level 2
Level 2

I have a client whom uses a DSL 10 MG circuit as their backup circuit for Internet Connectivity in case of a failure. 

The circuit uses a DSL modem that is unreliable.  I was recommending yesterday tot he client that perhaps we could place a Cisco router

in place of the residential grade DSL modem /router currently in place.

I wanted to place a 1900 ISR G2 in there, which would allow me to swap the DSL module out whenever I can talk the company into a Metro E connection.  At that point I could swap the DSL module out and put an Ethernet module in to receive the Metro E.

I was not able to find a solution last night using the Dynamic Configuraiton Tool.  Seems DSL has been phased out.

Is there any recommendation that could be made to accomodate this clients request for a Cisco router that will handle DSL?

Thank You in advance for any answers or comments.

KMNRuser                  

7 Replies 7

Jose Bogantes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Kevin,

I can see that you need a recommendation to get a router that could support DSL. What DSL flavor is your customer using? ADSL, ADSL2+, VDSL?

Regards.

Jose

We are unable to tell which type of DSL circuit it is at this point.  I am hoping once I get on site again next week they will have more information about the circuit for me.

Thank You for the response.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Seems DSL has been phased out.

Nope.  DSL routers such as the 887VA, 897VA are still there.

As what Jose is asking, what flavour of DSL are you talking about?  For the ISR G2 (1900, 2900, 3900), you could be looking at the EHWIC-4SHDSL-EA xDSL module.

leolaohoo

I really wish I had the answer to your question. I am hoping to find out next week once I return onsite to the customer.

Thanks for the response.

The module I've posted, EHWIC-4SHDSL-EA, will do VDSL, various flavour of ADSL, different Annex (A,M and more).  The Data Sheet should provide you with information you seek.

Just make sure you go through the Systems Requirements so you'll know what exact platform is supported and what IOS version and DRAM memory are required.

I don't think that's correct, leolaohoo.  The EHWIC-4SHDSL-EA part number you posted is a G.SHDSL card, and doesn't support VDSL/ADSL at all.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5949/data_sheet_c78-692767.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5949/qa_c67-599767.pdf

The Annex A support is specific to G.SHDSL, it's not the same annex A as for ADSL.

Please post a link if this is not the case (I'd be happy to be proven wrong).

Thanks, Reuben.  You're right.  The part number I've posted is SHDSL.

Cisco Multimode VDSL2 and ADSL2/2+ High-Speed WAN Interface Card.

This should be the correct one.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card