Views
Helpful
Replies

NX-7K Console Authentication

zekebashi
Level 4
Level 4

Hello, 

We've aaa +tacacs configured on a nx-7k. My account is assigned a network-admin role. I am trying to create a local account so I can access the console port but when I try to add the account, I receive the following message 

"NX7K(config)# username myaccount password mypassword 
user:myaccount account is already created through remote authentication.
Please first delete that account using "no" option." 

Am I creating the account correctly? How can I create a local account to access the console port while having an account on the TACACS server? 

Thanks in advance. 

~zK 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is difficult to be sure based on what is posted here, but it appears that you are trying to use the same name (same user ID) for both the local account and the TACACS account. The name/ID for local authentication for the console must be unique (not the same as the ID for TACACS).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is difficult to be sure based on what is posted here, but it appears that you are trying to use the same name (same user ID) for both the local account and the TACACS account. The name/ID for local authentication for the console must be unique (not the same as the ID for TACACS).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

That was helpful, Richard! I created a local user account using a different username than the one on TACACS+ server and that worked. Thanks much. ~zK

You are welcome. I am glad that my suggestion was helpful. Thank you for using the rating system to mark this question as answered. This will help other readers in the forum to identify discussions that have helpful content.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card