Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF and DMVPN

m.dridi89
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a HQ  and multiple agencies  so we choose DMVPN  but the issue is that every buildings has a 3 ISP so basiclly

we create 3 dmvpn tunnels  and we run 3 ospf proccess the issue is  now even when we choose our 1 ISP to be primary some route are coming from isp 2 or 3  since ospf process first in  win .can you please help me to control my links so isp one primary and ISP secondary then the third  

by the way I redustribute my lan via ospf  ( redistribute connected subnets metric type 1).

thanks 

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Redistributing one OSPF process into another is asking for trouble because there are race conditions lurking behind the corner. I personally caution against this kind of design.

Why did you decide to run three independent OSPF processes, anyway? Your DMVPN is a single VPN that connects you and your branch offices together even if you create three tunnels. How about running a single OSPF process and just making sure that the most preferred DMVPN tunnel interface uses OSPF cost 1, the less preferred DMVPN tunnel interface uses OSPF cost 1000, and the least preferred DMVPN tunnel uses OSPF cost 10000, with these costs consistently set up on all routers? This would naturally cause the OSPF to always choose the path across the cheapest tunnel that works.

Best regards,
Peter

Hello Peter,

First of all I would like to thank you. Yes you are right but every LAN has a voice vlan and Data vlan so the idea is to transport the voice traffic via ISP 1 and Data via ISP 2 and the other traffic via ISP 3 in case of lossing connection  via ISP 1 tha voice traffic goes via ISP 2 here come the issue 

since I use three ospf proccess .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card