cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ospf inter and intra area

lhenriquez7c
Level 1
Level 1

I have ospf running on two area, a backbone area and area 1, the the backbone area is the area of my main ISP and where my Headquarter and all my banch offices are in, area 1 is with another ISP, i have just some banch offices in that area 1 as backup area, but when area 0 goes down traffic doesn't pass to area 1 automatically. My main ISP is using  VRF and MPLS, our headquater is MetroEthernet but our branch offices uses frame-relay.

Area 1 of the other ISP is a ethernet ospf network. So What should i do in order to switch automatically between  areas when one area goes down, maybe i'm missing something?

Thanx

3 Replies 3

BjornDewulf
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Luis,

I don't know if I understand your question correctly, but keep in mind all traffic should always pass through area 0.

So if your area 0 is down, this means interarea traffic won't work as your backbone (area 0 is down). But intraarea traffic (Area x - branches of area 0) should still work fine.

Could you maybe post some kind of topology, because it's not really clear for me how the topology is build. Your saying your main office is part of area 0 and also some branch offices. Correct ? I suppose also your ISP is providing internet connectivity between the branches ? correct ?

Greets,

Bjorn

Hi

Thanx for the answer, here i'm sending you a kind of topology, just to see if i  can explain better so you got me right and help me. I' m sending the configuration of four routers two of them in the corporate offece (L3 Witch Main and R2) and the others in branch office side (RB1 and RB2).

I hope this can make thing clear so you can analyze it.

Thanx

Hi Luis,

I think something went wrong with the topology you tried to attach.

I only see 1 line in there.

Greets,

Bjorn

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card