cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF: Migrate other areas into area 0 (consolidation) or other alternative?

RUDY SETIAWAN
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Currently, our network infrastructure has area 50 and area 0.  Area 50 has about 5 routers and Area 0 has about 3 routers.

3 of the 5 routers in Area 50 are ABRs and all of the area0 routers are ABRs to the Area50 routers.

The problem that I am having is that I am unable to prioritize which ABR should the packet goes in/out. I want to choose ABR-1 in Area50 to be the main link to Area0 ABR-1.

I am thinking of migrating area50 to area0 and maybe using the ospf cost to prioritize.

Or if there is a way where I can prioritize which ABR on the existing infrastructure?

Thank you

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rudy,

If area 50 is a simple area with no STUB or NSSA and you don't have a large OSPF database, then I would say for only 8 routers one area (area 0) is good enough.

HTH

Reza

Hi Reza, thanks for the advice.

Since this is in production, what happen if I change the network statement from area 50 to area 0? Will it disconnect the network?

Thanks,

Rudy

Hi Rudy,

Yes, there is going to be an outage since you have to changed both sides, and the peeing will need to come up in the new area.

In below example I changed the area from 5 to 6 and as you can see the timer for the neighbor was reset.

I would defiantly do it during an outage window after hours.

T-1(config-router)#do sh ip os ne det
Neighbor 10.100.6.10, interface address 172.17.1.1
    In the area 5 via interface GigabitEthernet0/0
        Neighbor is up for 00:00:06

T-1#sh ip os  ne det
Neighbor 10.100.6.10, interface address 172.17.1.1
    In the area 6 via interface GigabitEthernet0/0       
    Neighbor is up for 00:00:07

HTH

Reza  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card