Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF prefer learned route over local

dcarr3311
Level 1
Level 1

Hey

I am deploying a new VPLS between 8 offices. The plan in to have all the offices get internet access through the main office. So basically all the satellite offices will only have access to the VPLS WAN link. The main office will advertize a default route to the rest of satellite offices over OSPF.

Each office currently has its own internet connection. I would like to maintain each office's internet connection until we have completed deployment of the VPLS and have thoroughly tested it.

So my question is this. How to i configure OSPF to prefer the learned default route, over the default route it has statically configured?

thanks for your help

Dan

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dan

Without knowing the full topology it's difficult to say for sure but as a general answer you can't really.

Even if you tried to set the AD of OSPF to be the same as the static route, which I'm not sure would be a good idea, the locally configured static would have a better metric.

I think you are basically going to have to test by advertising out the default route via OSPF, making sure it is in the OSPF database at each site and then remove the locally configured default to test internet connectivity via your main branch.

Or you could try using PBR to bypass the routing table which would allow you to test central internet connectivity but it doesn't confirm your OSPF routing is working properly.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card