Ospf redistribution

key_tone_9926
Level 1
Level 1

Hi this is my first post,

We have two separate networks running between several sites, 

1) Old Network running ospf

2) New Network running BGP in the core 

They each have they own dedicated links between two of our site, but now we are looking to remove the 1G line that Old Network  was using and we are looking to piggyback of the 10G line that is being used on the New Network using sub interfaces. I will be looking to use a new VRF to keep the traffic separated from each other over the shared P2P link.

Long question, but I wanted to know how would I be able to carry the ospf traffic into New networks router and across the sub interfaces to create the ospf neighbor adjacencies without affecting the existing bgp network. Can I add ospf to the existing bgp network on the same router and separate them by using VRF's.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello key_tone_9926,

you should be able to add subinterfaces to the 10GE interface without affecting the current setup.

You can then associate this new subinterfaces to a VRF and you can have OSPF running over it.

In your current setup are using already a subinteface on Tengiga or you have an IP address configured under the main physical interface?

In both cases you should be able to add a subinterface using encapsulation dot1q 100 and assign an IP address to it without affecting the existing interface.

Final note: there is no need to redistribute OSPF into BGP, you just need to use a VRF and to run OSPF in the VRF on new core routers. You will need additional subinterfaces in the same VRF to connect to old network in each site.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello key_tone_9926,

you should be able to add subinterfaces to the 10GE interface without affecting the current setup.

You can then associate this new subinterfaces to a VRF and you can have OSPF running over it.

In your current setup are using already a subinteface on Tengiga or you have an IP address configured under the main physical interface?

In both cases you should be able to add a subinterface using encapsulation dot1q 100 and assign an IP address to it without affecting the existing interface.

Final note: there is no need to redistribute OSPF into BGP, you just need to use a VRF and to run OSPF in the VRF on new core routers. You will need additional subinterfaces in the same VRF to connect to old network in each site.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,   Thanks you for your quick response and your help.

A great help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: