Views
Helpful
Replies

Outbound QOS Police Configuration Question

mpoglesby1
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings!

I need to attach a QOS policy to a layer 2 WAN interface between two sites.  This is actually an extended LAN circuit with 500Mb/s of allocated bandwidth.    The interfaces are Gigabit so I want to make sure I don't attempt to transmit traffic faster than 500Mb/s.  What is the best way to implement an outbound QOS policy that sets the minimum and maximum speed to be the same?

I do not need any help with the match or how to apply, I just need guidance on using the police command (I assume that will be the QOS parameter I need to use).

This policy will be implemented on a 4900M with the 20 port GigE module.

Thanks for the Help!

3 Replies 3

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Umm from a personal point of view - WHOA Dude! QoS was designed to help time sensitive traffic over low speed/low bandwidth circuits, you have 500mbs.....who CARES!!!!

On a techinal note you could look at rate limiting for basic policing of used BW.  However if you want to limit specific traffic type to specific policing values including burst and excessive burst limits, you use the QoS MQC and place a specific police value per class per match.

See the below QoS SRND

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/solution/esm/qossrnd.pdf

HTH>

Thanks for your reply.

For clarification, there is replication traffic traversing this link.  The link is heavily saturated.

Yeah I understand - just having a little laugh!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card