cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Tracer DHCP Server Problem

AnonymousTyahna
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, can someone help me with my packet tracer?

Most of my device have been able to connect to its DHCP except one and I can't seem to see the problem.

I already attached my packet tracer to this post.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin L
VIP
VIP

so PHL router does not have dhcp on, all requests go to INDO. Is that planned? I would put dhcp service on PHL router.

So, as of right now, every time PC tries to get IP this error shows up on router

INDO#

*Mar 02, 16:41:51.4141: DHCPD-4-PING_CONFLICT: DHCP address conflict: server pinged 10.140.3.129.

*Mar 02, 16:41:52.4141: DHCPD-4-PING_CONFLICT: DHCP address conflict: server pinged 10.140.4.2.

*Mar 02, 16:42:22.4242: DHCPD-4-PING_CONFLICT: DHCP address conflict: server pinged 10.140.4.2.

what does it tell you? you need one command per each pool to exclude some addresses used by routers/switches itself. what is it?

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **
** We could solve this for you but then you will not learn anything; what's purpose in that?
if this is a PT lab, you can attach PT file here but it must be in zip format. ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Martin L
VIP
VIP

so PHL router does not have dhcp on, all requests go to INDO. Is that planned? I would put dhcp service on PHL router.

So, as of right now, every time PC tries to get IP this error shows up on router

INDO#

*Mar 02, 16:41:51.4141: DHCPD-4-PING_CONFLICT: DHCP address conflict: server pinged 10.140.3.129.

*Mar 02, 16:41:52.4141: DHCPD-4-PING_CONFLICT: DHCP address conflict: server pinged 10.140.4.2.

*Mar 02, 16:42:22.4242: DHCPD-4-PING_CONFLICT: DHCP address conflict: server pinged 10.140.4.2.

what does it tell you? you need one command per each pool to exclude some addresses used by routers/switches itself. what is it?

Regards, ML
** We could solve this for you but then you will not learn anything; what's purpose in that?
if this is a PT lab, you can attach PT file here but it must be in zip format. ***

Thank you sir! I having a hard time understanding what you meant since english isn't my first language, but I have change my dhcp server as you recommended it and it works

Thank you for your help and have a nice day!

DHCP router will try to get you IP address from a pool (let say IP is X) but before he does, he send ping to X (ping X) to see if that IP X is exists already.  if no body responds back to dhcp router, it means IP X is ok to use.

if someone replies to ping X, it means X is already in use and dhcp will not be able to give u IP . this is why you see errors like I saw on your router :

DHCP address conflict: server pinged 10.140.4.2.

DHCP address conflict: server pinged 10.140.3.129

it means that IP 10.140.4.2  and .3.129 are already used on network.  Check on your PT Who has those IPs.

So, to solve this you must exclude IPs of the routers and switches in that pool from DHCP Pool. Command is

!

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.140.4.2

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.140.3.129

!

You must add at least one exclude command per each DHCP POOL to exclude those addresses already used by routers/switches

Yes, easy solution is to set up dhcp service on PHL router.   if you do not move it, you can still fix INDO server to provide IPs to other side but it not easy, there is something else preventing sending DHCP packets from INDO to RU PC. I have not able to find what's wrong in short time. I would need more time to fix it, but for now use PHL router as DHCP service

Regards, ML

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card