Views
Helpful
Replies

Passing internet Traffic over GRE Tunnel

mudvayne15
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

Need help on how to force the traffic from 10.10.10.1 AWS Server to the Internet over GRE tunnel

AWS-Cisco GRE.jpg

I have a tunnel established between AWS and Cisco and we have tested to route internet traffic over GRE but it did not go through. 

I have a default route to the internet and the other option that I have not tried is to create a route map. 

The configuration of the tunnel on cisco

!
interface Tunnel1
ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.252
ip virtual-reassembly
ip tcp adjust-mss 1387
shutdown
tunnel source 2.2.2.2
tunnel destination 3.3.3.3
tunnel mode ipsec ipv4
tunnel protection ipsec profile ipsec-vpn-243c4476-1
!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.31.1.2

The route map below is I haven't tried yet, do you have other suggestions to do this?

access-list 110 permit ip 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.255

!
route-map AWS_To_Internet permit 50
match ip address 110
set ip next-hop 172.31.1.1
!
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

the route map you initially had in mind could be an option. Use that in combination with policy routing (applied to the physical interface connecting the 4431 to AWS. This should look something like below:

access-list 110 permit ip host 10.10.10.1 any
!
match ip address 110
set ip next-hop 172.31.1.2
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
description Link to AWS
ip policy route-map AWS_To_Internet

View solution in original post

Hello

Your config looks fine, just append the policy based route-map to the lan interface that you acl host reside in

int x/x
Description lan host subnet
ip policy route-map xxx

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hello,

is the traffic from AWS actually arriving at your 4431 router ? The default route should be sufficient, provided you have all the NAT configuration in place.

Post the full running configuration (sh run) of the 4431.

Hi Georg, 

Thanks for getting back to me, the traffic between the tunnel is good. The only thing we want is that 1 server to only access the Internet, since there are a bunch of servers on the AWS side. I might have not showed the completed diagram but on the Cisco side, there is another router as well.

Aside from adding NAT, is there anything else that we can do on this?

AWS-Cisco GRE.jpg

Hello,

the route map you initially had in mind could be an option. Use that in combination with policy routing (applied to the physical interface connecting the 4431 to AWS. This should look something like below:

access-list 110 permit ip host 10.10.10.1 any
!
match ip address 110
set ip next-hop 172.31.1.2
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
description Link to AWS
ip policy route-map AWS_To_Internet

Hello

Your config looks fine, just append the policy based route-map to the lan interface that you acl host reside in

int x/x
Description lan host subnet
ip policy route-map xxx

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

mudvayne15
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you everyone, I will try it and let you know the results.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card