cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

pc ip and default gateway same

krishna3010
Level 1
Level 1

I am having dsl connection. phone and internet on same wire. when i type ipconfig the pc ip address and the default gateway address are same. why is that. can someone help plz

2 Replies 2

m.kafka
Level 4
Level 4

This is quite a standard feature of ip routing and forwarding mechanisms (assume e.g. windows or unix):

If the default route points to the IP address of a local interface, then this interface is used for sending all traffic towards 0.0.0.0/0

If that interface is a point-to-point link like a serial or dial-up, packets will be sent out that interface, nothing special will happen.

If the interface is "multiple access boradcast" interface like ethernet, an ARP request will be sent out that iterface to determine the MAC address of the next hop. In that case the next hop must support proxy arp (send ARP replies for destinations in the routing table).

This is briefly what happens, if you need more explanations let me know and I will try to find some documents describing that bahaviour.

Rgds,

MiKa

thanks mika

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card