cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping problem of devices on the same switch

sadi.g
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys , i have a strange problem. Quite many pings are missing (while -t) , for example when i ping one device from another one , within the same subnet/vlan ) (x.x.x.8 to x.x.x.9/253 or reverse). Physically both devices connected to the same switch's ports (9200L) , doesn't matter what to ping , laptop or workstation. Some are missing every time. There is no physical problem with ports or lan cable. What can be the problem? P.S. this switch is an access switch (9200L) , which is connected to distribution (9407R) switch and then to core(also 9407R). The same thing happens the same way on distr switch. Gateway is in the core. Pings are missing even if port between distr>core is shut down.

9 Replies 9

There is FW in OS of some PC it block icmp.

So allow icmp and check again.

MHM

Thanks for reply , there is no any FW yet , network is building up, i didnt even know ping problem , until cameras were lagging and freezing.

Friend not net FW but FW of windows of host PC can block connection.

MHM

we tried different types of devices , also camera storage , the problem is the same. As i mentioned , cameras started freezing , first thing i did , sent -t ping to camera , then started troubleshooting from the closest switch and that happened

This so weird 

Debug ip icmp 

Share it here 

MHM

thanks , i'll share today

Hello
All switches apart from any L3 switch requires ip routing to be disabled, all L2 vlans to be created on these switches and to be allowed to traverse all trunk interconnects.

All edge access ports need to be in a stp postfast state with an administrative mode of Access

Each edge host needs to have an ip address/subnetmask/default-gateway  applied to its related L3 vlan

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks ! Everything is configured that way excepting edge access ports , they are not in stp portfast , i'll check it again. But how can portfast help me if device is pinging already ?

Hello
If you are seeing intermittent drops from a ping test between devices on the same switch within the same vlan I would check the port interfaces for speed/duplex/crc issues etc...

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card