cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ping response from gateway longer than from switch

RabbitSF
Level 1
Level 1

I am not Cisco expert so the following question might sound silly.

I have the following path,

Laptop--Access Point--Switch1(2960x)--Gateway(core 3850 switch)--Switch2(2960x)

I ping to both the Gateway and the Switch2. How come the average response from the Gateway is longer than from the Switch2?

If I run trace route to the Swtich2, the first stop is always the Gateway. I assumed the Ping should reach the Gateway first, then the Switch2. 

Please correct me if my understanding is totally wrong. Thanks!

21 Replies 21

Jaderson, 

Would the command " spanning-tree vlan 1-4094 priority 0 "  mess up anything except for a few secs of disconnection?

What command should I run on the core switch to change things back to the original if there is anything weird happens after running the command?

Thanks very much!

Hello,

Would the command " spanning-tree vlan 1-4094 priority 0 "  mess up anything except for a few secs of disconnection?

to change things back use  " no spanning-tree vlan 1-4094 priority 0 "

Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

It is possible that if root guard is incorrectly configured on a down link switch, it could shut down a port that you would want to remain online. I agree that if your 3850 is the main switch, it should be the spanning-tree root and the command suggested by Jaderson is correct.
Please rate helpful posts.

Hello
TBH I don't really think it has anything to do with STP or QOS although @Jaderson Pessoa has a point about making your stp root central to the lan , This seems to suggest the businesses of the core switch.

When you ping the core switch remember that will be performing allot more functions then the access switch and as such its response time can be higher  as it has more important things to process

When you ping the access switch this traffic will be switched faster and as such the response will be lower also your source/destination is all at L2 so the core will really not need to be consulted.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

@paul driver  if you still think that a ping with 85ms in local lan is correctly, alright. For me there is a problem on it;

Regards,

Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

The whole network seems to be fine. Users did not say anything or complain. Our school site has been using those switches for years under the same configuration. Just recently some parent happened to run a ping to the gateway (the core switch) and told me that time reply does not look right. He said usually the time should be a single digit instead of double digits. I did ask other school's IT, they all have single digit time reply from the gateway switch. So that make me wonder if there is actually a problem going on which we did not know at all.

Below I draw our LAN again. Also from the attached, you will find the STP status/Current Roots information. I captured those by logging into the core switch using the Cisco Network Assistant. 

Access Switch (.111)

|

Core Switch 2 (.254) -- Access Switch (.104)

| |

Cloud -- Comcast Modem -- ASA Firewall -- Access Switch (.107) -- Core Switch 1 (.254) -- Access Switch (.105) 

|                                                                           |

Access Switch (.108)                                           Access Switch (.106)

Hello @Jaderson Pessoa 

I am not stating you are wrong in your assumptions i am just merely pointing out a possible reason why the response times are showing as they are, And as I have stated before one reason why the OP would be seeing a response time higher from the core switch as apposed to a lower response time from an access switch in front/behind the core switch (whichever way you look at it)  is possibly due to the core switch processing other stuff and its less of a priority for the core to respond to the ping

However when the same ping is sent to the access switch (via the core) this will most probably be fast switched and as such the core switch(router) will process this more quickly , now given that in this instance the source and destination is all in the same l2 domain not routing is involved so naturally the response time from the access switch which isn't as busy as the core can respond quicker then a core switch which is busy doing other things.

As @RabbitSF has confirmed no users are experiencing any issues about latency my understanding at this time is that what I have so far explained is occurring.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco