Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Ping sweep fails on specific small range MTU across GRE/IPSec tunnel

Extended ping sweep to remote end of GRE/IPSec tunnel df-bit set, mtu sizes 731-746 fail across WAN.

mtu sizes 64 - 730 work

mtu sizes 747 -1496 work

Same results from either side of the connection.

If I ping sweep my remote router physical interface with df-bit set, mtu sizes 64 - 1496 - results successful.

Our edge routers sub-interfaces have ip mtu 1496 set and the tunnel interface shows the ip mtu of 1476.

The end-results is our web applications fail.

Is there some reason -obvious or not -why pinging the non-tunnel address across the wan works while the tunnel addresses fail?

Communication across backup wan works.

Thanks

Frank

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Hall of Fame Expert

Re: Ping sweep fails on specific small range MTU across GRE/IPSec tunnel

Hello @fsebera ,

nice to see you again in the forums.

let us recap your findings:

>>

Extended ping sweep to remote end of GRE/IPSec tunnel df-bit set, mtu sizes 731-746 fail across WAN.

mtu sizes 64 - 730 work

mtu sizes 747 -1496 work

Same results from either side of the connection.

If I ping sweep my remote router physical interface with df-bit set, mtu sizes 64 - 1496 - results successful.

Our edge routers sub-interfaces have ip mtu 1496 set and the tunnel interface shows the ip mtu of 1476.

The end-results is our web applications fail.

Is there some reason -obvious or not -why pinging the non-tunnel address across the wan works while the tunnel addresses fail?

Communication across backup wan works.

>>>>>>>>

mtu sizes 64 - 730 work

mtu sizes 747 -1496 work

I have few questions for you Frank,

what exactly type of GRE over IPSec are you using ?

I mean we know GRE header is 24 bytes I can guess your WAN interface is a Vlan based subif because of ip mtu 1496 (4 bytes used by 802.1Q IEEE Vlan tag)

Do you use both AH and ESP ?

Are you in tunnel mode ?

what kind of HMAC and ESP encryption are you using ?

payload DF should be copied to outer GRE header and then it should be copied to the more external IPSec header if using AH.

@fsebera may you provide more details on your network environment in order to get better help ?

Ciao Frank Merry Xmas and Happy New Year

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Re: Ping sweep fails on specific small range MTU across GRE/IPSec tunnel

Hi Giuseppe,

Seems here, I only get the strange issues .... :-|

We are running IPSec over GRE (sorry for any confusion). No AH, just standard ESP with point-to-point tunnels.

As the PE, we strip any DF parameters from all pre-frag packets we receive from our business partners and it appears our WAN SPs drop any of our CE packets over 14~~ bytes or so- this is normal and acceptable.  Our business partners do a great job of ensuring their packets don't need to be chopped.

We are attempting to determine if the WAN SP boxes have an OS bug or just a piss-poor miss-configuration.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to you too!!

Frank