Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

playing with a catalyst 3650

Cisco Community,

I'll premise this by saying i'm a novice when it comes to networking and configuring enterprise-level equipment, but as part of my job i regularly encounter this gear and have to work with an engineering team to configure and troubleshoot the equipment for clients.  I recently bought an old catalyst 3650 off ebay, and I'm working on configuring this to work as a layer 3 router, as part of a larger home networking project, but I'm riding the struggle bus.

Can anyone point me toward some resources that would help me configure this switch?

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't have an idea what you have in mind but start with Configuration Guides.

A good idea of what the switch can/can't do can be found in the Release Notes.

GOLDEN RULE:  If a particular feature isn't mentioned (in the Release Notes), then it is not supported.  

so far i'm just looking to build a simple network; coax modem>catalyst 3650>network devices (smart tv, network storage, computers, WAPs). Once i get that up  and running, then play with some more advanced features and configuration options.

Currently i've got my modem feeding a wireless router, that in turn feeds the catalyst 3650, but i'm looking to take that unit out.  It's just a matter of how i configure the 3650 to connect directly to the modem to allow the rest of the devices to connect to the internet.

Hello,

in addition to the other post, if you have little to no experience with these devices, the guides below might also be a good starting point. If you use this switch at home (and want to get Internet connectivity), the most important thing to keep in mind is that you can use the switch as a 'router', but you cannot use it on the edge of your network, since the switch does not do NAT (Network Address Translation), so you need something else in front that does.

BASIC & ADVANCED CATALYST LAYER 3 SWITCH CONFIGURATION: CREATING VLANS, INTERVLAN ROUTING (SVI), VLAN SECURITY, VTP, TRUNK LINK, NTP CONFIGURATION. IOS LICENSE REQUIREMENTS FOR SVI ROUTING

http://www.firewall.cx/cisco-technical-knowledgebase/cisco-switches/973-cisco-switches-basic-advanced-configuration.html

Catalyst 3650 Switch Getting Started Guide

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/hardware/quick/guide/cat3650_gsg.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card